What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

4 Likes

I Must admit that apart from that album I never followed her career closely but interesting given her well documented and shocking life while living with Ike.

1 Like

The Stranglers - Dark Matters

Muso streaming.

5 Likes

Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV.
Contains a cover of Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes :relaxed:

5 Likes

Dire Straits - Making Movies
From the Studio Albums 1978-1991 cd box set.

26 Likes

90 degree rotation- needs sorting!!!

Received the remastered Let it Be- by the Beatles standard it’s not really that good… but still pleased with my purchase however now listening to Rubber Soul- my favourite Beatles album- well today as it changes depending on my mood.

19 Likes

Thank you for reminding me about this album- will have to give it a listen again

1 Like

Atlanta Rhythm Section - Fresh Takes

5 Likes

The Strokes - Is This It.

9 Likes

John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension live at Ronnie Scott’s

9 Likes

Keb’ Mo’

19 Likes

Artic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not.

10 Likes

The Libertines - Up the Bracket.

6 Likes

Something laid back for Sunday

20 Likes

The bass is cool but then it would be - it’s Christian McBride!

1 Like

Nice one!
:heart:

The Pigeon Detectives - Wait for Me.

2 Likes

Donald Byrd - Royal Flush 1961 (Tidal)

Feeling a bit lazy this morning so selected one of the My Mix playlists from Tidal
The track Hush from this previously unheard by me album came on prompting further investigation. It’s also the first released Blue Note session to include some obscure pianist by the name of Herbie Hancock…

Royal Flush Review

by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Donald Byrd was at his peak as a straight-ahead hard bop band leader in the early '60s, turning a series of remarkably solid, enjoyable sessions for Blue Note. Royal Flush is no exception to the rule. Recorded in the fall of 1961, Royal Flush finds Byrd once again working with baritionist Pepper Adams, but adding bassist Butch Warren, drummer Billy Higgins, and, most importantly, a young pianist named Herbie Hancock. For the most part, the quintet plays a set of vital hard bop, swinging hard on the bluesy groove “Hush” and laying back on the pop standard “I’m a Fool to Want You.” But what’s really interesting is when they begin pushing the boundaries of bop. All three of Byrd’s original pieces – “Jorgie’s,” “Shangri-La,” “6M’s” – are harmonically complex and have subtly shifting rhythms; all three are successful, but “Shangri-La” is particularly noteworthy. Similarly, Hancock’s graceful “Requiem” calls attention to its fluid melodic lines and rhythm. Throughout the date, Byrd and Adams are typically impressive, alternating between punchy, hard-hitting, and graceful solos, but Hancock is just as good, signaling early on in his career his deep, unique talent.
:heart:

6 Likes

One of my most treasured records. The EMI 100 edition of Hunky Dory from the late 90’s all analog from original masters. Sounds fabulous

28 Likes

Not listened to this too much,probably over three years since last played. Doesn’t sound too bad.

3 Likes