What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

It Bites - Eat Me in St Louis

The last IB studio album with Francis Dunnery. Less prog than Once Around the World, but still a fine album, featuring Still Too Young to Remember.

Here’s a live version of that song:

2 Likes

Yep, a great, informative read.

Just started this one:

51XYbLT79hL.SX310_BO1,204,203,200

Sounds Like London - Lloyd Bradley.

Hoping it’ll stir a few memories of my time in London, and maybe even mention that club in Canning Town who’s name continues to elude my ageing memory cells.

3 Likes

I’ve read that too, very good. The Alpha book is a bit special though, the first time to my knowledge that anyone has tried to properly document its remarkable history
:+1:

1 Like

Don’t suppose your encyclopaedic knowledge of London will allow you to identify that early 80s club who’s name I’m missing?

I’m sure it was a girl’s name, and possibly would have been up on North Woolwich Road, Victoria Dock Road, or Newham Way … … … maybe! :man_shrugging:

I wish! :joy:

1 Like

Beatles, Revolver. Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

24 Likes

It is interesting to compile a companion album of the original versions. I think her versions are brilliant.

1 Like

Stunning work, fantastic piece to work to, able to let it fill the room and wash over you whilst still being able to focus.

12 Likes

Thunder. Back Street Symphony. Vinyl. 1990. Debut album. Melodic Bluesy Hard Rock.

Thunder_backstreet

2 Likes

Streaming the Bard of Barking’s latest. Sweet soulful Americana rather than the rawness of his punkier days. More personal than political (aside from one about Trump’s attempted coup) - tho of course the personal is political. Nothing of the stature of Levi Stubbs Tears (one of my favourite songs) but good stuff nonetheless.

7 Likes

Surf’s Up is an amazing album. The title track is a Brian Wilson masterpiece.
Gives me the opportunity to post a pic of me getting the great man’s autograph. The picture was then signed by BW at a later gig. Backstage pass courtesy of fan club Beach Boys Britain.

9 Likes

There are some beautiful moving tracks on there Bob.
Disney girls, feel flows and of course ‘til I die.
Great photo btw.

2 Likes

Jon Amor | The Unknown Soldier | 2007
Jon was with that fine British blues rock band the Hoax, this is an early solo album from him while still with the band.

1 Like

The late Eric Gale. Multiplication. 1977, Vinyl. Not knowingly come across this guy until a couple of years ago. He had a seriously hard working career playing with many serious musicians. Very talented I think.

3 Likes

20 Likes

Rachel Baiman - Cycles
CD|2021

Followed by

Sierra Ferrell - Long Time Coming
CD|2021

2 Likes

Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus

Haven’t listened to this for quite a while, but it’s a jazz wonder. The picture is the same as on my CD, but not sure that it’s a remaster or whatever. I’ve owned it since the mid ‘90s.

14 Likes

The Hoax | Humdinger | 1998
A fine Brit’ blues rock band that never got the exposure and recognition that they really deserved.

5 Likes

Prompted from another thread. John Martyn. The Church with one Bell. CD. Wonderful cover versions.

1. “He’s Got All the Whiskey” (Bobby Charles)
  2. God’s Song (That’s Why I Love Mankind)” (Randy Newman)
  3. "How Fortunate the Man with None " (Dead Can Dance; words: Bertolt Brecht)
  4. “Small Town Talk” (Bobby Charles, Rick Danko)
  5. Excuse Me Mister” (Ben Harper)
  6. Strange Fruit” (Lewis Allan)
  7. The Sky Is Crying” (Elmore James, Clarence Lewis, Morgan Robinson)
  8. Glory Box” (Adrian Utley, Beth Gibbons, Geoff Barrow)
  9. “Feel So Bad” (Lightnin’ Hopkins)
  10. Death Don’t Have No Mercy” (Reverend Gary Davis)

18 Likes

Oliver Nelson - 1961 The Blues and the Abstract Thruth

Because I am back from work on a damp afternoon.

14 Likes