What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Wilco’s guitar playing style, based on that of Mick Green, where he can play rhythm and riffs at the same time is totally unique, and there’s no one else out there who compares.

3 Likes

Yes but the current line-up has been together much, much, much longer (15 years) than the original!
Of course that does not make them better but great that the name carries on.
Oh to have been at the Kursaal.
(my earlier photograph was at the Palace Theatre not Cliffs Pavilion).

Atb
Kk

7 Likes

Marcin Wasilewski, Slawomir Kurkiewicz and Michal Miskiewicz - Trio

Mellow and intense at the same time.

(Sometimes there is a benefit to just posting a pic :wink: )

2 Likes

T.Rex - Electric Warrior
After posting in the Appreciation of 1971 thread, i thought I just had to play it,again.

21 Likes

I read somewhere that he said his style developed from trying to copy Johnny Kidd & The Pirates but somehow getting it wrong and melding that with the influence of Bo Diddley.
:thinking:

Reissued version of Levitate by The Fall.

Late 90s peak Fall.

Two things rarely associated with The Fall - immaculate recording quality and beguilingly beautiful songs - are present here.

Well, I’d say the former is present throughout much of their vast discography (it was fascinating to read Mark E’s reference to fastidious recording techniques in his wonderful autobiography Renegade), whilst the latter is less liberally sprinkled throughout their back cat, but is there nonetheless, if you squint from a certain angle.

5 Likes

Yup, Mick Green was the guitarist in JK and the Pirates, but Wilko was never able to quite capture Mick’s style.

1 Like

After a rather mind-melting business zoom call for the last two hours, this is sounding rather relaxing I must say. Sounding rather wonderful on my office system… (Qobuz HIRES > Mac > Dac-V1 > Ruark MR1-2 + QAcoustics Sub)

16 Likes

The Reverend Shawn Amos Breaks It Down
A modern day protest record, and a great blues album with a bit of The Jean Genie in there!

6 Likes

Railway Hotel, Southend - Just down the road!
Interesting/extensive local band history at Dr Feelgood | History Page

1 Like

With a band name like this, had to take a listen! From Ghent in Belgium.

3 Likes

Sade - Bring Me Home, Live 2011

14 Likes

Stevie Wonder - Hotter Than July, I always think of this as a lesser light in his catalogue, and then I play it, it’s great. However, the cover less so.

22 Likes

Any good John?, this seems to have passed under the radar.

Very good CD from an Estonian singer now living in Finland. Her band – all Finnish – are very good. She’s a self-taught vocalist and her songwriting shows real promise.

1 Like

It’s from a CD/DVD of the concert but is also available on streaming services. As a live album it is pretty good, though it looks that smooooothness.

1 Like

A latest release on Awesome Tapes From Africa label, Kanawa by Nahawa Doumbia.

Stunning lead vocals, dynamic and still very subtle shifts in her delivery, the backing voices and the polyrhythms coming at all angles.

Great social and political message too.

3 Likes

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - not quite the prog rocker of old this album covers a wide spectrum.

By the way if there is anybody here who still downloads then Bandcamp have this at £7.34 (inc VAT) and it’s a Hi-Res (Yer!)

7 Likes

22 Likes