What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

11 Likes

To start the day…

1995 Encomium: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin

2 Likes

Personally I didn’t enjoy Toy but the rest of Brilliant Adventure isn’t to bad, though they were never his best albums. Not sure what the standalone version of Toy being released in January will be like, I assume just different versions of the main album. Hopefully you will enjoy it.

1 Like

I already have a copy of bootleg version that was around 10 years ago, have to agree not his best work. Cheers.

1 Like

Late night listen and first time for me. Really liking this one.

7 Likes

David I tried it again last night on Tidal switched off after 3/4 tracks.

Hank Mobley No Room For Squares / 2000 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 724352453924

Hank Mobley Tenor Saxophone
Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd Trumpet
Herbie Hancock, Andrew Hill Piano
Butch Warren, John Ore Bass
Philly Joe Jones Drums

9 Likes

Al Stewart - Year of the Cat

Just a great album, which I’ve loved since university days. Coco agrees.

20 Likes

Sly & Robbie - Reggae Masterpieces Vol. 1.

Has to be a Sly & Robbie day today, in memory of the greatest bass player, who, sadly, has died.

R.I.P. Robbie.

10 Likes

Something lively to kick off the day, my favourite album by them.

13 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses:

Porcupine Tree: A band I’ve discovered from listening to the Radio Paradise Rock mix. Love this album.

8 Likes

I have just had a look on Qobuz and all 11 disks of Brilliant Adventure (1992-2001) are on there for streaming, so hopefully it will be available on the Aus Qobuz site, the Buddha of Suburbia is enjoyable and is a very good remaster. Toy to me was disjointed and the sq wasn’t great. It’s not the best of the five ERA box sets.

Posted this on the dedicated Robbie Shakespeare RIP thread, feel it’s also appropriate here;

I’m so saddened to turn on the radio this morning to hear the news.
Robbie was a Titan of JA music and well beyond.
There was a time when it seemed like every record coming from JA had Sly n Robbie playing on them they were phenomenally prolific and the quality rarely slipped.
From the early days where iirc he learned to play the basics of Bass from a young Aston Familyman Barrett, being invited to join The Revolutionaries, the house band at Channel One, as a pianist! Soon after replacing Ranchie Mclean on Bass , where he and Sly further developed the “Rockers” sound and so much crucial music from the mid seventies to the early eighties was recorded.
R-1158893-1198858339.jpeg
His becoming, along with Sly, permanent members of Black Uhuru propelled them to global stardom and at Compass Point in Nassau made superb albums like Chill Out

I’m posting an interesting interview with David Rodigan from 1981 - when they came to play London’s Rainbow Theatre as part of Black Uhuru, seeing them around this time at Brightons Top Rank is one of my most memorable musical memories and experience -telling their story of how they came togethor etc, well worth a listen

RIP and so much Respect Due!

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

Beach Boys, Christmas Album. Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

7 Likes

Continuing the uptempo start to the day with another favourite by NMA

2 Likes

I’ve ordered the CD box set just waiting on delivery.

1 Like

The Chambers Brothers. The time has come.
Starting a 60s session as recommended by @ewemon last night.

5 Likes

A recent release from one of the musicians in SEED Ensemble. The vibrant London jazz scene is still producing wonderful music.

I must repurchase LA Woman and other Doors CD’s that I don’t have now, as they were regularly played. The Best of The Doors CD I owned was a HDCD and sounded excellent. :+1:

2 Likes