What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Jean-Baptiste Rameau, Keyboard Suites. Angela Hewitt, piano. Hyperion CD.

Kicking off this Sunday morning with Rameau’s fascinating suites played by Angela Hewitt. For someone who can read French, Rameau’s titles add to the fun (for others, Google translate can help in most cases): l’Indifférente, la Poule, les Sauvages…

Angela Hewitt’s touch and insight are a delight in all cases, and the Hyperion sound quality suits them perfectly.

AngelaHewittRameauKeyboar52579_f

Claude

11 Likes

Chicago 1991
CD on Erato

7 Likes

Genesis Nursery Cryme. Vinyl.

Playing this as was prompted by recently watching an episode of Endeavour, ( the Morse prequel). The episode was “Nocturne” and had more than a few nod to this album. Murders on a Croquet lawn, a Musical Box , Characters such at Stephanie Hackett and Phillipa Collins-Davidson, and more. The writer was obviously having great fun. Well worth a watch on Catch-up if you can find it.

The album is good as well, perhaps sounding a touch dated.

download

12 Likes

Streaming from Tidal:

6 Likes

13 Likes

Ordered this one yesterday. Just treat the trolls with the contempt they deserve! There’s loads of albums posted on here which wouldn’t make it across my threshold, but why diss the owners by being critical? As ever, better to say nothing!

1 Like

Amy Winehouse - Lioness: Hidden Treasures

A posthumous release of some different takes, some ska tunes and the track with Tony Bennett. What a voice!

16 Likes

Pierre and Marc Hantai - Bach Sonatas for flute and Harpsichord - Qobuz

After @ClaudeP recommended Pierre I have been working my way through his albums.

This one is primarily for flute with harpsichord accompaniment. It is rather enjoyable.

Phil

6 Likes

COYI!!!

I’m following Lioness with the second disc released with the deluxe version of Frank. It’s a brilliant album in its own right, with a further 18 opportunities to enjoy her wonderful voice.

16 Likes

London
October 1988
CD on EMI

Happy Birthday…224!

7 Likes

This album is so good I imported it twice. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

The perfect Sunday Afternoon cool out after a late night
Megumi Mesaku
Saxy Cool Ruler, sees the lovely Japanese Saxophonist blowing over some classic Gregory Isaac’s riddims provided by Mafia & Fluxy20210131_162942
Previous album Saxy Rocksteady similarly finds Megumi Blowing some classic Rocksteady. This album came to fruition after someone filmed her busking on the tube, the video went viral on youtube.
20210131_162828

REMARKABLE STORY

The remarkable story of Megumi Mesaku’s second full length album, the follow up to her 2018 released debut album “A Saxy Reggae Christmas”, starts in the London underground. After over the years having worked on numerous music projects including the 2011 released 10″ vinyl “What A Wonderful World” with the Yahman All-Stars feat. the late Rico Rodriguez and veteran singer Derrick Morgan, personal circumstances didn’t give her many opportunities to play her saxophone. Inspired by a friend, Megumi started to busk on the London underground. Because she didn’t have time to prepare or practice, she played tunes she knew from childhood and other music she loved including her favourite music genre, Rocksteady. She got some Rocksteady riddim tracks sent by Mafia & Fluxy and went busking in London Bridge Station and other undergound stations.

VIDEO FOOTAGE

One day, while busking at Waterloo Station, she was approached by a woman who asked her permission to video her performance on her mobile phone. Megumi played some of the Mafia & Fluxy riddim tracks and then played “Pupa Lick”, a classic Rocksteady instrumental from Studio One by the Soul Vendors – with Lester Sterling on saxophone. This video footage went viral and got many wonderful reactions from all over the world. She then contacted Mafia & Fluxy again, and told them she wanted to record tunes for an album at Stingray Studio. They came together at the famed studio and started recording the tunes she had created and composed in the London underground stations.

MEGUMI MESAKU AKA MISS MEGOO

The lovely Japanese saxophonist Megumi Mesaku aka Miss Megoo was born in Soma City, Fukushima, but as a child moved to Chiba (next to the Tokyo area) and then relocated to London at the age of 20. As a teenager she fell in love with reggae music and since then she has travelled the world, enticing audiences with her instrumental renditions of reggae classics. Mesaku also plays the keyboard and has worked with some of Jamaica’s top reggae stars, including The Skatalites, The Pioneers, Alton Ellis, Derrick Morgan, Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, Max Romeo, Big Youth, Dennis Alcapone, Little Roy, Winston Francis and Roy Shirley. Nowadays she plays with UK bands like Ska Cubano, the Trojans and the Topcats.

SAXY ROCKSTEADY

The album opens in great style with the amazing and inspired sounding “Megumi Special”, which uses the blueprint of Prince Buster’s 1968 tune “All My Loving”, the killer Rocksteady version of this alltime Beatles classic tune. This piece, backed by its dub version by The Pharmacist, was previously released on limited edition 7″ vinyl of 150 copies. Next comes the wonderful “Pupa Lick”, the instrumental that went viral and actually led to the recording of this “Saxy Rocksteady” album. Then the album’s title track rounds off the opening part of this collection in real fine style. These first three tracks, but also the rest of the instrumentals showcase Megumi Mesaku’s great control and warm tone when she plays her saxophone. Each and every track has its own merit and is a real joy to listen to. The ones that caress the eardrums most are “You Are My Favourite Gentleman”, “Driving Me Crazy”, “Bright Moon” (an interpretation of the popular jazz standard “Blue Moon” with Trevor Edwards on trombone and Patrixx Aba Ariginal on trumpet), “Tengoku” (Japanese word for Heaven), “Nostalgia Love” and “Rude Gyal Rocksteady
Reggae - Vibes .com
Streaming on Tidal, physical formats are also available
:heart:

3 Likes

19 Likes

Likewise, right at the top and back of the london millennium dome/02. Could have been anyone performing below for all I could tell :joy:

1 Like

3 Likes

A late career highlight from PW that always pleases. Lovely Sunday afternoon music with a glass of beer

13 Likes

Butterworth, Parry, Bridge. CD. A Sunday night regular. Very English.

81nWc0KalmL.AC_SY355

9 Likes

Mogwai | Come On Die Young | 1999
Great Glaswegian post-rock here on Mogwai’s third album.

4 Likes