What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Tom Petty - Wildflowers & All The Rest
2CD

19 Likes

36 Sondheim songs reimagined by 36 composers and played by the pianist Anthony De Mare on a triple album. It’s one I bought, played once and forgot. Here it is again, after a few years. I’ve probably grown into it.

2 Likes

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin’ / 1999 Blue Note / US CD / RVG Edition / 7243 4 95327 2 4

Sonny because it’s sunny.

15 Likes

1st run of the new recording…

7 Likes

5 Likes

Vol 18 of the Studio One archives Vol 1-48

3 Likes

I love this record. Along with Lodger, TMWSTW is THE great underrated Bowie album. I definitely prefer this version from last year to the original.

12 Likes

Ruthie Foster - Promise of a Brand New Day
Another fine blues/gospel/soul album from Ruthie

6 Likes

Sixty-two years on from the 3rd February 1959. - the day the music died.
Time for some Buddy Holly, Crickets and Ritchie Valens.

Buddy Holly - Buddy Holly

The Crickets - The “Chirping” Crickets

Ritchie Valens - The Best of Ritchie Valens

(from Qobuz) a compilation with the Big Bopper.

17 Likes

After the totally-out-there excursions of Lorca and Starsailor, this is more down to earth. The songs remain brilliant though, and his voice is still extraordinary. Vinyl, from Rhino’s box set.

11 Likes

Some soft electronica while nursing a sore head after indulging in too many liquid pleasures last night.

1 Like

Gary Burton / Chick Corea - Crystal Silence

12 Likes

There are glimpses on Starsailer of where he was going with album and for me Sweet Surrender off this album is one of the greatest songs of all time.

2 Likes

ZZ Top - Eliminator, always a fun listen, just wish they hadn’t used that bloody drum machine :sunglasses:.

21 Likes

What’s the SQ of the Rhino box?

I’ve got a couple of early presses and wonder how they compare. The box looks great value.

1 Like

@Paul_C

In 2008, I had the great pleasure of being at a really small gig in the city of London Minster Lane at Ruskins organised by my mate Bernie and Kevin Montgomery whose mother sang on Suspicious Minds.

In Kevin’s band that night was Tommy Allsup who was Buddy’s guitar player. Tommy told us about the time they were touring the North West and it was so cold on the tour bus that Buddy said that’s it I’m going to charter a plane to get to the next show. On the plane should have been Tommy, Buddy and the Big Bopper (he was ill at the time).

Just before the plane was leaving Buddy asked Tommy to get his bag from the changing room (Tommy said It was only Buddy asked him to do that). At the door of the room Richie Valens blocked Tommy’s way and said I’m getting on that plane. Tommy said no way and Richie said i’ll toss you for it. Richie won and Tommy being the gentleman let him have his seat on the plane.

The rest is tragic history and to hear the story from someone who cheated death and was Buddy’s mate was quite an experience.

6 Likes

To be honest @Charles64 I don’t have originals to compare the Rhinos to, but they sound very good to my ears. Nicely produced too, with quiet flat vinyl and good-quality printing on the sleeves. As you say, for £70, the box is very good value.

Stunning record of real historical interest, and stunning-sounding on vinyl too.

14 Likes

A great personal story linked to a piece of music history.

And Kevin’s dad Bob Montgomery was a friend of and half of the Buddy Holly duo “Buddy and Bob” that predated The Cickets. He co-wrote “Heartbeat” (with Norman Petty!) and “Wishing” (with Holly) amongst others. Tommy Allsup played the lead guitar on the recording.
see - Bio - Kevin Montgomery

Also investigators initially thought that Tommy Allsup had died in the crash due to the fact that he had given Holly his wallet so that Holly could use Allsup’s ID to claim a mailed letter on his behalf.

2 Likes

I’d worn out my 12” single of Denise so Plastic Letters was a must buy (from my paper round money!). Loved the album cover too!!

20 Likes