What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

5 Likes

Last for the evening

Astrud Gilberto - Jazz Masters 9.

8 Likes

Now playing…

Django Bates’ Beloved - The Study of Touch

Django Bates (Piano), Petter Eldh (Double Bass) and Peter Bruun (Drums).

Streaming on NAS… continuing on through the mid-afternoon hour with the beautiful and smooth music provided by the Django Bates’ Beloved trio, a fantastic album. Love the music and it is one sweet album!’

3 Likes

Emma Swift - Blonde on the Tracks - 16/44 WAV download
Finally got round to trying an album recommended by SJB and others last year, and it’s excellent. Fine versions of Dylan tracks, well set and interpreted with feeling and a lovely voice, nice folk vibe.

7 Likes

Enjoying ‘She flies on strange wings’ , ‘Radar love’ and the extra long ‘Eight miles high’ from the legendary ‘Live’ album, engineered by Steve Lillywhite cutting his teeth before he tried his magic with U2.

Feeling sad after I learned just now that the longest lived rock n roll band in the world (longer than the Stones) has folded as George Kooymans, its brilliant guitarist has neurological/ muscle disease ALS.

Seen them live two years ago in Utrecht. Biggest dutch band ever. Uncomplicated good fun.

Feel like paying tribute all weekend. They have enough albums to keep me going for a couple of weeks.

10 Likes

Night night Alan.

Goodnight Eoin :+1:

Love his political persuasions, less so his music.

Sometimes it’s better that way round.

cf. Van Morrison’s recent verbal ruptures and even more unforgivably that lost son of literary compassion, the Bard of Salford, and his loathsome musings and vile choices when it comes to badge wear.

1 Like

Now playing…

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams

Anouar Brahem (Oud), Dave Holland (Double Bass), Jack DeJohnette (Drums) and Django Bates (Piano).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this Friday afternoon with Anouar’s Blue Marqams. A fantastic quartet and the music sounding mighty sweet!

9 Likes

3 Likes

Brilliant Live album recorded for Capitol Radio way back when.

1 Like

Don Henley, Actual Miles - Greatest Hits, cd rip

Some pop/rock whilst eating my morning porridge and sipping a double espresso.

Nothing too taxing at this hour :slight_smile:

11 Likes

21 Likes

image image

11 Likes

Rare Bird, Rare Bird, cd rip

Some excellent early 70s English prog. Good ‘old school’ with lots of twiddly organ bits :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve always been a big Robert Cray fan. Great blues and the three of them are clearly having a great time!

11 Likes

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing

Some lovely music to enjoy.

Phil

20 Likes

My third play of the new hopes of “arty indie” and I’m really savouring it’s many layers and textures.
You can hear their friendship with recent winners of the art-indie honours, Black Midi, in the concept here, but for me, this has more depth.

More style and substance.

4 Likes

Bela Bartók - String Quartet No. 5

I remember studying this marvellously inventive piece when I was at school or university (it was a while ago!). I’ve just finished listening to an analysis of the various recordings of the work in Record Review on BBC Radio 3 FM. The preferred version, chosen by Kate Molleson was that by the Takáks Quartet. Superb playing indeed.

9 Likes

Starting the day with a new recording of great music of Chopin…

10 Likes