What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Yes .
Most of his albums, in my opinion, are classic …

First listen of the latest release from the excellent set of Brilliant Live Adventures releases and this one certainly does not disappoint. Good sq and a great track listing. Very enjoyable indeed

7 Likes

Antonio Vivaldi, La Stravaganza, Op. 4. 1-9. The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock. Part of a 7-CD box set: Stravaganza, 55 Concertos.

Trevor Pinnock directed the English Concert for 30 years, building upon the work of Gustav Leonhardt and Nikolaus Harnoncourt on period instruments and developing his own musical signature. What impresses me the most is Pinnock’s uncanny ability to go to the essential and extract the core of any music he plays. His version of the Stravaganza is a typical example.

I’d like to compare this version to the reference recording by Rachel Podger and Arte dei Suonatori someday.

Vivaldi Pinnock

Claude

7 Likes

Absolutely a classic, as is almost everything Perrett has touched since (musically, not chemically; it’s amazing he’s still alive).

1 Like

Big Youth doing the S90 Skank, warning “If you ride like lightning, you’ll crash like thunder”
R-1400609-1216489464.jpeg
Whilst Dillinger had "one dread…two dread…sat upon a CB two hun-dread :grin:
R-615497-1597600342-9531.jpeg
:heart:

6 Likes

“That,” of course. :grinning:

3 Likes

Victim of pop culture I first read that as Kim Kardashian and thought God she gets everywhere, then i looked properly… My apologies to Ms Kashkashian especially when i read the wikipedia entry…
" In a 2013 interview with Hollywood.com Kashkashian stated that she is constantly confused with reality television personality Kim Kardashian due to their similarly spelled surnames."

1 Like

Winson Green. :+1:

:rofl:

Earth Wind & Fire - Spirit / 2012 Columbia / Japan Blu-spec CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / SICP 20357

Adding some uplift to the day.

15 Likes

David Gilmour

Live At Pompeii

81mip8SwSAL.SS500

Edward

16 Likes

Lisa Mills - Live at the Listening Room of Mobile Alabama
Lisa and “Evangeline” playing some mighty fine music.

7 Likes

Screaming Target needs no introduction to seasoned Reggae fans, but the Trojan 2CD expanded version gathers together the original vocal cuts and dubs produced by Augustus “Gussie” Clarke.
It’s available to stream on a Tidal Master.
See the Reggae Vibes review below
20210212_151128

Screaming Target” is a classic Jah Youth album we have all surely heard many times before — but this is the definitive release, since it backs up the original DJ tunes by adding the original vocal cuts and some alternative dubs. No less than fourteen extra bonus tracks are added here, including the essential Pablo/Rockers tunes, “Half Way Tree” and “Organ Style”, both of which are sublime, and similar in style to Pablo’s tunes on Lloydie Coxsonne’s “King Of The Dub Rock” in that the approach here fuses a free form jazz sensibility into its dub soul.

Also essential is the haunting dub to KC White’s “Anywhere But Nowhere”, with its lyrical sentiment of frustrated, existential stoicism. (“I could be anywhere — but still be nowhere.”)

Most listeners are totally satiated with “Skylarking” and surely don’t need another cut — but this imaginative version will turn your head, and is by no means token filler, but proves to be JA dubwise at its peaks of creativity.

The Glen Brown productions are intense too.

A fine collection and most will consider it the definitive release of this album, collecting as it does, DJ, vocal and dubwise cuts. The Pop Art/Warhol style sleeve is great too

:heart:

4 Likes

Anna B Savage - A Common Tern

On Vinyl

2 Likes

Listening to the 2nd of these two albums, recorded in 1993 at Birdland in Hamburg
Lively enjoyable jazz with a great quintet

Harry Allen Quintet -
Harry Allen (s)
Randy Sanke (t)
Brian Dee (p )
Len Skeat (b)
Oliver Jackson (d)

3 Likes

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
From the Studio Albums 1978-1991 cd box set

27 Likes

Lo Moon, a roon radio find a few weeks ago, indie version of a-ha comes to mind when trying to describe.

Great artists. I have seen them all live in concert.

1 Like

Well spotted Badger. The joke was aimed at Dread.

2 Likes

Cutting Crew. Broadcast 1986. Vinyl. Much underrated band imho. Wonderful Guitar from the late Kevin MacMichael who went on to play with Robert Plant and was the Guitarist on “Fate of Nations”.

3 Likes