What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Streaming on Qobuz again …
Ahmad Jamal - Blue Moon (2011)

Fantastic.
Cannot resist it after someone (on this topic) put me on to it.

11 Likes

Another good B.B. King album - it was his first !
B.B. King - Singin’ the Blues (1956)

11 Likes

Streamed it a while back.
Great live album.

3 Likes

Durand Jones & The Indications - Durand Jones & The Indications
CD|2016

7 Likes

On Pure Pleasure 100% analogue vinyl, another reissue of a 1970s album on Charles Tolliver and the late Stanley Cowell’s legendary Strata-East label. This 1974 jazz-funk epic is a real one-off for saxist/clarinettist Rouse. Fab SQ.

5 Likes

With Eric Clapton, an amazing album IMO

BBKingRidingWithTheKi38484_f

CLaude

23 Likes

Enjoying this latest release from Hayley Williams, better known for her work for Paramore. Great sound too.

1 Like

Sound the Trumpet. Works by GF Handel and Henry Purcell. Alison Balsom, trumpet. Hestyn Davies, countertenor; Lucy Crowe, soprano. The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock director and harpsichord. EMI CD.

If you think you don’t like trumpet and have never heard this album, reserve your judgment. I don’t know who selected the nine pieces played here, but I suspect it was Balsom and Pinnock together. In any event all nine pieces from the English Baroque masters are interesting and truly beautiful.

Balsom is able to extract an almost limitless array of textures from her instrument, and the partnership of the English Concert under Pinnock’s harpsichord playing and direction is near ideal. In addition sound quality is EMI at their best.

A jewel of an album.

AlisonBalsomKingsAndQuee30241_f

Claude

13 Likes

The Guardian were a bit sniffy about this in last week’s review, suggesting that Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were playing it too safe, but I rather like it. It’s an album of covers, recorded during lockdown. The CD is out on 5 March but it’s been available on Bandcamp for quite a while and the artists get more income that way too.

7 Likes

With Friends on this Album - 80 to celebrate the mans eightieth birthday
Great playing and duets - wonderful sounds.

The 1969 Album Completely Well was the breakthrough when King finally made it. Contains the iconic track The Thrill Has Gone. This is also available from 2015 as a remastered Hires album.

13 Likes

Dire Straits - Making Movies.

18 Likes

Kate Walsh - Peppermint Radio

Another talent that just vanished off the scene.

8 Likes

Never a big Doors fan in the past, but maybe that’s gonna change

9 Likes

Another Strata-East/Pure Pleasure vinyl gem, this time from co-founder Tolliver. Absolutely superb trumpet playing (CT has a style very much his own), great rhythm section and stellar SQ. This is definitely one of THE reissues of 2021.

7 Likes

Just released on Chandos. Fabulous recording

6 Likes

Back in the day I remember him playing on the radio and I was tapping my feet and this young woman said “do you like Kid Creole?” Being a smart arse I replied “not really but I love his coconuts “. It was obvious she didn’t realise that was the name of his backing singers because she eyed me very strangely after that. :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

9 Likes

Forgot how great that album is…

21 Likes

Now playing…

Susanne Abbuehl - The Gift

Susanne Abbuehl (Voice), Matthieu Michel (Flugelhorn), Wolfert Brederode (Piano, Indian Harmonium) and Olavi Louhivuori (Drums, Percussion).

Streaming on NAS… continuing on into the afternoon with the beautiful voice and music of Susanne. A 2013 release which “utilizes the poetry of Emily Dickersonm Emily Bronte, Sara Teasdale and Wallace Stevens to explore solitude as it embraces desire.” Just love her voice and the music is outstanding, one very sweet album!

4 Likes

The lyrics to Trouble often spring to mind “I think I’m trouble…”

5 Likes