What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Watched the Eddie Murphy Coming 2 America film which had an appearance by Gladys Knight which prompted this selection.
Perhaps not one of the best loved Motown Stars, not sure why but the Motown albums were pretty hit and miss. This post Motown album is a goodie though
Gladys Knight & The Pips Imagination

20210309_135821
:heart:

4 Likes

I saw Gladys and The Pips once…she and they were great :+1:

1 Like

Neil Young & The Bluenotes - This Note’s For You.

15 Likes

The Barr Brothers - Queens Of The Breakers. Not listened to this excellent record for a while. Music with folk and Americana influences. Some nice harp playing as well.

7 Likes

Funny, I had that record on my mind a day or two back but didnt get round tooit :+1:
Ta for reminder

1 Like

Continuing with The Cure theme.

7 Likes

On CD:-

Robin Trower - Coming Closer To The Day

6 Likes

R.L. Burnside. A ass pocket of whiskey.
Alphabetically chosen on the iPod.
Teamed up with the Jon Spencer blues explosion. If you want that boogie feel, look no further.

10 Likes

Rory Gallagher - Check Shirt Wizard Live in '77

Quietening things down a bit :laughing:

6 Likes

Dreadatthecontrols

Good call! This is fantastic.

1 Like

Joni Mitchell, Clouds, cd rip

Playing through telly…

Random choice to test Assett+BubbleUPnP Server running on my NAS. Having to transcode to WAV 44KHz because the telly is a bit limited on what it will take but it works and we can play music.

16 Likes

Snowgoose - The Making Of You. I recently stumbled across this 2020 release and, after a couple of plays, I absolutely love it. After checking up online, I discovered they are a Scottish folk-rock outfit headed up by Jim McCullough (Soup Dragons) and vocalist Anna Sheard with support from Raymond McGinley (Teenage Fanclub) and members of Belle & Sebastian, among others.

3 Likes

Clayton, Australia
May 2018
CD on Okeh/Sony

Branford - tenor/soprano sax
Joey Calderazzo - piano
Eric Revis - bass
Justin Faulkner - drums

5 Likes

Will see if it’s on Tidal and give it a whirl👍

1 Like

Elgar Violin Concerto - Nigel Kennedy, LPO/Vernon Handley

Nige before he became just Kennedy. This was a Gramophone award winning recording at the time of its release.

Having recommended this version to @Filipe tge other day, I thought I’d better remind myself of it. Just as good as it always was.

13 Likes

On Tidal, physical formats on Bandcamp (vinyl sold out)

20210309_153958

LA OLA INTERIOR brings together 20 little-known and innovative pieces from the golden age of Spanish electronic music.

@Charles64 interesting label out of Switzerland

Music | Les Disques Bongo Joe

Bongo Joe records is pleased to present La Contra Ola, a compilation recording dedicated to the early 80’s Spanish Synth Wave and Post Punk scene. First to be published outside Spain, this anthology explores the electronic music side of the independent music produced in the days in the Iberian Peninsula: Synthetic pop music with industrial sounds including futurist Art Rock, dance-floor productions and low-fi experiments on cassettes. Classics or true hidden treasures, this selection of nineteen songs is symbolic of the musical dawn that Spain experienced during the decade marked by the return of democracy and by the creative freedom initiated by Punk music

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping - WAV CD rip
After the masterpiece debut album Pronounced… how would they do with their “difficult second album”? Start it with Sweet Home Alabama and then a set of great country rock songs, dual guitar, compelling vocals, what an album!

10 Likes

Anything with Bongo in the midst gets a thumbs up from me!

Yes, looks an interesting label for sure.

I’ve played (streamed) the album a few times now, and it’s definitely one I’d like to have on vinyl. Will see if there’s anything out there beyond Bandcamp.

Thanks.

1 Like

Easing into Tuesday evening

8 Likes

One of his best ! ?