What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

9 Likes

Me too, do give us a shout if you have any luck
NB the Bandcamp page says theres a repress coming in April
:heart:

Little Axe - Bought for a Dollar, Sold for a Dime - WAV CD rip
Heavy trancey blues with a lot of funk, echoing guitars, husky vocals, great stuff.

5 Likes

Cos it’s been a while

Fantastic Negrito. Have You Lost Your Mind Yet?

10 Likes

@Eoink

'Lo Eoin,

If ye like that, then ye’ll just lurve this one.

Little Axe - London Blues.

Aaaand … there’s a heap of his albums over on yon Tidal thingy. :+1:

5 Likes

The Ethiopiques series of Ethiopian music now has a colossal 30 volumes or more.
I have the 2LP Heavenly Ethiopiques (Best Of The Ethiopiques Series) I dont think you can really distill 30 plus volumes into a 2LP “Best of” but it’s well worth checking out.

Music | ETHIOPIQUES SERIES

4 Likes

Thanks Dave. I’ve had Bought for a Dollar for about 10 years and every time it gets a run out I mean to go and buy more of his stuff.

1 Like

Queen

A Kind Of Magic

Edward

14 Likes

Will do.

The other one (the Spanish Synthwave comp) is currently available on Discogs & eBay, & the ambient one is too but shipping from Germany or France makes it too expensive for me. Will wait for the repress.

Peace.

1 Like

Checking this out from new label discovery Bongo Joe on Bandcamp. 70’s Sega music from the islands of the Indian Ocean.
Quite LoFi sound but it kind of adds to the psyched trippy vibe of some of the tracks which sort of go from tropical folk, fuzzed out funk to strange electronic weirdness.

BJR003 / Soul Sega Sa! (EN)
In the 17th century slaves were deported from Africa, Madagascar and the pristine islands of Mauritius, Réunion and the Seychelles in the South Western corner of the Indian Ocean to work on coffee and sugar cane plantations where they gathered secretly to escape their daily woes by singing, dancing and beating rhythms. Afro-Malagasy-inspired sega, or (t)chega music was born.

During the course of the 19th century, the Creole population’s gradual adoption of Western instruments and traditional melodies of old Europe (quadrille, waltz, polka, schottische, romance, mazurka) together with the cultural impact of hired workers from India, laid the foundation for contemporary sega.

This crossroads of influences kept expanding, especially in the 50s, when the first gramophones hit the market and all sorts of records were played, from pop to jazz, soul, rock and roll, and even Cuban and Brazilian music.
For sega music, this hailed the beginning of an intense period of creativity which would linger on into the 60s and 70s when amplified instruments appeared and violins and accordions were replaced by electric guitars, bass guitars, drums and keyboards.

Record production boomed, an abundance of micro-record labels emerged and immensely talented arrangers honed their skills. These included Marclaine Antoine, Gerard Cimiotti, Eric Nelson, Claude Vinh San and Narmine Ducap, who went on to explore the many facets of sega.
Psychedelic keyboards, fuzz guitars and bouncy bass lines came to complement the manic ternary polyrhythms of drums, ravannes, bongos, claves, triangles and maracas, and created a unique style.
FolkWelt and Bongo Joe Records have carefully selected and compiled some gems from this golden age of sega from Mauritius, the Seychelles and Reunion.

4 Likes

Marianne Faithfull - Blazing Away - WAV CD rip
After her painful personal issues in the ‘70s Faithfull had a career renaissance in the ‘80s culminating in this wonderful live album. Her voice shows the effects of booze, fags and drugs, but it’s beautifully expressive and totally compelling. A fine band, lovely cathedral acoustics do full justice to the excellent songs on this album, Marc Ribot on guitar and Garth Hudson on keyboards pretty much guarantees good playing. She really drags all emotion from the songs, from the opening line As Tears Go By has the hairs on my arms standing upright, and I may even prefer her version of Sister Morphine to Mick’s on Sticky Fingers.

12 Likes

This looks like a good label to complement the releases unearthed by Mr Bongo, Soul Jazz, Awesome Tapes From Africa et al. I’m just having a look on Bandcamp now. Some fantastic records.

1 Like

Yes I was thinking that too, I’m listening to the Soul Sega Sa! Compilation at the moment, see a couple of posts back.
Quite a few Bongo Joe titles searched at random appear on Tidal which is handy for the sold out titles.

Btw if African music is of intetest, see my post on the Heavenly Ethiopiques, it’s a double LP, still available I think and also available on Bandcamp

1 Like

Foghat Live at the Bellyup | 2017
English blues rock that goes back to the early 70s when some Savoy Brown members jumped aboard.

3 Likes

Sampling another album from Bongo Joe.
Brilliant comp of vintage Bahamian Goombay music, loving it…

BJR002 - GOOMBAY! Music from the Bahamas 1951-59 (EN)

Just off the Florida coast, Bahamian Goombay music is a succulent hybrid, somewhere between rhythm and blues, Trinidadian calypso and Jamaican mento, yet it comes from The Bahamas, where it lives on as a separate style. The presence of world-class composers and performers Blind Blake Higgs, George Symonette or Charlie Adamson made the sounds of Nassau a Golden Age, filled with unique charm and tropical dreams. This music is finally available again on vinyl after 60 years!

3 Likes

Vangelis

Blade Runner

Arguably the best soundtrack ever. IMHO.

EDWARD

13 Likes

Cheers
What part of the world are you in? I’ve noticed that now with the UK no longer being in the EU shipping charges have rocketed.
As Bongo Joe is in Switzerland I expect shipping charges will be just as expensive. They are, I just selected an in stock LP at random and shipping is £14.27

Steve Gibbons Band - Caught In The Act.

This one brings back some old memories of concerts at the Birmingham Odeon. Good old rock and roll!!

6 Likes

Now playing…

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Tracy Chapman, (Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Rhythm Guitar, Percussion), Larry Klein (Bass), Denny Fongheiser (Drums), Jack Holder (Dulcimer, Electric Guitar, Guitar), Steve Kaplan (Harmonica), Bob Marlette (Keyboards), Steve Kaplan (Keyboards), Jack Holder (Organ), Paulinho Da Costa (Percussion), Jack Holder (Piano), Jack Holder (Sitar), Ed Black (Steel Guitar) and David LaFlamme (Violin).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Tuesday morning with Tracy and her beautiful voice, lyrics and music and she and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

22 Likes

4CD|1993

Working through the set with CDs 1 & 2. Got on @Dreadatthecontrols recommendation a few weeks ago. Enjoying the set so far.

5 Likes