What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Rebecca McDade - to call home - 16/44 WAV download
Following last night’s space rock thrash out with a gentler evening, lovely folk music from a young Oregon-based Scottish folkie. Reflective lyrics, lovely tunes with a fine sense of pace, well sung, some nice finger picking, I really enjoy this album.

1 Like

For me their best album. Lucky I got 2 copies when it came out.

Next up an official unreleased live gig of theirs from way back when.

6 Likes

Courtesy of Roon - foot tappingly good suggestion…

17 Likes

And finally my choice, to close out this evening’s session…sublime!

6 Likes

Wildwood Kin- Wildwood Kin - WAV CD rip
Folk-indie(?) trio, intelligent lyrics, nice indie folk settings, the three singers harmonise beautifully (they’re 2 sisters and their cousin, so say they’ve been singing together as long as they can remember). Classy album.

3 Likes

Not played this for a while. Great songs and vocals from this Australian band. Not sure if they’re still around and making music? Someone here will tell me. Highly recommended.

7 Likes

Agree with @dave-marshall and @igahman belter of an album.

16 Likes

Now playing…

The Delines - Scenic Sessions

Amy Boone (Vocals, Guitar), Willy Vlautin (Guitar, Vocals), John Askew (Baritone Guitar, Electric Guitar), Freddy Trujillo (Bass, Vocals), Cory Gray (Keyboards, Trumpet), Tucker Jackson (Pedal Steel Guitar) and Sean Oldham (Percussion, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… returning from a 4+ mile walk around Discovery Park, beach and light house this afternoon and returning home and thought The Delines’s ‘Scenic Sessions’ was an appropriate album to take out for a spin. …and Amy and the band is sounding sublime! This is one very sweet album…

11 Likes

Listening to Kate Rusby, hand me down. Sorry to all the Americans and Canadians because it’s still Sunday. I am hoping it is at least late enough for fellow Brits. Very beautiful songs.

Sorry, I forgot to provide context. First track is Manic Monday. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Now playing…

The Delines - Colfax

Amy Boone (Vocals), Willy Vlautin (Guitar), Tucker Jackson (Pedal Steel Guitar), Jenny Conlee-Drizos (Keyboards), Freddie Trujillo (Bass) and Sean Oldham (Drums, Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this Sunday afternoon with Amy’s fabulous voice and Willy and the band are sounding so sublime! Just love Amy’s voice and wonderful musicians, this is one very fine album…

11 Likes

Lyle Mays Street Dreams / 1998 Warner Bros / US CD / 24 BIT Edition / 9472492

lylemayssweet

4 Likes

Now playing…

Lucinda Williams - This Sweet Old World

Lucinda Williams (Guitar, Vocals), Greg Leisz (Guitar, Lap Steel Guitar), Stuart Mathis (Guitar), Butch Norton (Drum, Percussion, Vocals ) and David Sutton (Bass, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on this late afternoon with Lucinda’s 2017 re-release of ‘Sweet Old World’ originally released 25 years earlier. This is one fantastic album, she does it all and just love Lucinda’s voice, lyrics and music …Lucinda and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

12 Likes

A number of trax due out 21st.

4 Likes

I thought I heard the influence of RL Burnside especially on Coal Black Mattie
:heart:

They keep on evolving and making such joyous and vibrant music. Densely textured and euphoric.

Sketchy - Tune-yards

1 Like

I’ve been trying to work what to play first on my new setup, this seems appropriate. Steely Dan AJA

29 Likes

Something you’re really familiar with

Female vocals are also great

I’m going to play either Rickie Lee Jones or Sade a spin next.

3 Likes

Excellent choices

Hi @Pete_the_painter I use Sade’s Stronger Than Pride CD when system testing as the production is ‘clear and simple’ and easy to follow. For example - the track Paradise has great rhythm and Haunt Me shows Sade’s vocal talents perfectly.

2 Likes