What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

On vinyl… :notes: :sunglasses: :+1:t3:

7 Likes

Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon.

Some Black Ark riddims, with the touch of Lee Perry so very obvious.

7 Likes

CD…

8 Likes

Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul

Rumer - Boys Don’t Cry

I am all mellowed out from my Rumerfest so now something to get the blood stirring…

The Black Keys - Delta Kream

I loved El Camino so am wondering why it took me so long to get to this. Belter!

14 Likes

Now playing…

Tom Misch - Geography

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Friday morning with an artist from the playlist on Qobuz of the ‘NAIM AUDIO > The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2020.’ I enjoyed the track and so starting out with one of Tom’s albums and he and the band are sounding mighty fine! Looking forward to the whole album…

1 Like

George Duke - Face The Music

:+1:

7 Likes

John Mayer Live. 2XCD. One of my favourite live albums. The acoustic section is especially stunning imho.

9 Likes

1 Like

Nigel, how good is the first track on this album, Black Messiah (Part 2)?! It’s all good, but that first track is something else. I only got this album as Richard Dane posted about it on the old forum and I was intrigued enough to try it.

1 Like

Indeed Black Messiah is a stand out track but I like the entire album. Quite varied and George at his best IMV.

1 Like

Following the conversation between @anon29651526 @Eoink and @anon4216120

Giving this a go courtesy of YouTube

5 Likes

Now playing…

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Robbie Robertson (Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals), Eluriel Tinker Barfield (Bass), Sammy Bodean (Vocals), BoDeans (Vocals), Bono (Bass, Guitar, Vocals), Terry Bozzio (Drums), Cary Butler (Drum Programming), Hans Christian (Bass), Adam Clayton (Bass), Rick Danko (Vocals), Bill Dillion (Guitar, Vocals), Bill Dillon (Guitar, Vocals), The Edge (Guitar), Gil Evans (Horn, Horn Arrangements), Peter Gabriel (Keyboards, Vocals), Garth Hudson (Keyboards), Manu Katché (Drums, Percussion), Larry Klein (Bass), Abraham Laboriel, Sr. (Bass), Daniel Lanois (Bass, Guitar, Omnichord, Percussion, Vocals), Tony Levin (Stick Bass), Maria McKee (Vocals), Larry Mullen, Jr. (Drums), Ivan Neville (Vocals), and Martin Page (Drum Programming).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with another artist on the NAIM playlist. I enjoyed his ‘Somewhere Down The Crazy River’ track yesterday so thought I would give the album a spin, and he and the band are sounding sublime! Looking forward to the rest of the album…

23 Likes

just a fix: the album ends at 39 minutes. the rest is some kind of unofficial addition

AJ Ghent Band - Live At Terminal West

If you enjoy this only half as much as the Band evidently did, you owe it yourself to give it a whirl.

Oh, and by the way, this bloke is a brilliant guitarist.

6 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

Unfortunately I don’t speak Portuguese (I wish I did so I could understand the lyrics but the emotion comes through) but I am really enjoying this thanks for posting.

1 Like

Unfortunately the lyrics are of great importance:
It allows you to understand the concept.

Try to find the lyrics on web and go google translate.

1 Like

Given the weather rocking my cab whilst driving along the Sussex coast I thought this rather fitting

Johnny Griffin- A Blowing Session (Blue Note 1957)

AllMusic Review by Al Campbell

A Blowin’ Session is one of the greatest hard bop jam sessions ever recorded; it is filled with infectious passion and camaraderie. It’s also the only time tenor saxophonists Johnny Griffin and John Coltrane would play together on record. Initially Coltrane wasn’t scheduled to be on this date, but Griffin saw him on his way to Rudy Van Gelder’s studio and asked him to join the remaining musicians, third tenor Hank Mobley, trumpeter Lee Morgan, pianist Wynton Kelly, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Art Blakey. These musicians were all associates within the same East Coast hard bop scene of the time; they came from the Jazz Messengers and Miles Davis’ quintet, and many had played with Dizzy Gillespie’s big band. Showcased on this April 8, 1957, session are two standards, “The Way You Look Tonight” and “All the Things You Are,” along with two original Griffin compositions, “Ball Bearing” and “Smoke Stack.” (An added bonus on the 1999 Rudy Van Gelder remastered edition is an alternate take of “Smoke Stack.”) Of special note is “The Way You Look Tonight,” featuring the three tenors trading off with complexity and speed that is still astonishing, especially in the case of Griffin (dubbed the world’s fastest saxophonist) and Coltrane’s ability to navigate complex chord changes over a fast tempo
:heart:

4 Likes

11 Likes

I was 11 years old the day they buried Bob Marley and I’m acutely aware today 40 years later with it also being the 50th anniversary of the release of What’s Going On that music can really be a power for good and help bring about change.

9 Likes

Cale is absolutely on fire - some guy called Marc Aaron on blistering guitar with a tone that out does Earl Slick on David Live.

What a gig this must have been.

5 Likes