What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Taken from Max Roach’s excellent, We Insist, Freedom Now Suite.

3 Likes

Grateful Dead ‎– Volume Seven: Alexandra Palace, London, England - September 1974
3xCD|1997
Dates: 9-11, 9 1974

7 Likes

Gang Of Four - Entertainment

6 Likes

More industrial than early goth bands, a favourite of the cybergoth sub-genre

1 Like

On vinyl… :notes: :+1:t3:

10 Likes

The Truth According To Ruthie Foster
Wonderful Blues and Soul, great voice.

6 Likes

Been streaming this,
following @TheKevster recomendation on the vinyl thread, got the lovely 4LP Box Set.
Initially thinking the price a bit steep for 4LP’s that was immediately dispelled when it arrived. Immediately the weight and feel of the package conveys a feel of quality.
It beautifully resembles a large encyclopedia with its hard back cover and red edging. The die cut hard back box opens to reveal two lovely gatefold LP’s with sleeve inserts (which would be nice as stand alones let alone part of this set, maybe they will), a brown paper greengrocers bag but instead of sprouts stamped Impulse containing a nice quality booklet and for all you Hip Jazz jocks out there a quality slip mat with Impulse Logo.

The records needed to be carefully teased from the inserts (stuck with static) and run through the RCM, vinyl is nicely pressed but a fair bit of paper dust and vinyl swarf on the surfaces, hence carefully teasing the records out to avoid scratching, a clean and a poly insert.

First impression was the SQ to my perception is clear and musical but definitely “digital”, not in a bad way, just not as fullsome and dynamic sounding as an unlimited original analogue master.
Such academia soon fades, the music is of course superb, opening with John Coltranes Africa the mind and soul soon gets drawn in to the musicality.

What I like about this set is for me it presents a nice balance of the more “free” material with the Soul & Spiriual side, it never gets too much fire in a pet shop sounding, (only one track, I wont say which, had Mrs Dread exclaiming “sounds like he’s strangling a cat!”) the sequencing makes for a nice involving groove, I wonder if this set might be intentionally so, theres some pretty good dance friendly selections here ( Max Roach Garveys Ghost just for starters and the set closing with the dance floor jazz funk of John Handy Hard Work) and the inclusion of that slip mat

A really lovely set, not overpriced at all really for what you get and its doesnt look or feel"cheap", some Love has gone into making this set.

If you’re an “audiophile” looking for analogue purity, it’s not here, otherwise the brilliant music, presentation both musically and physically, decent pressings (subject to the above) makes it an object well worth getting imo.

Show some love…

Impulse! Music Message And The Moment

The John Coltrane Quartet — Africa
Max Roach — Garvey’s Ghost
Quincy Jones and his Orchestra — Hard Sock Dance
John Coltrane — Up ‘Gainst the Wall
Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet — Just Us Blues
John Coltrane — Alabama
Charles Mingus — Better Get Hit in Yo’ Soul
Shirley Scott Trio — Freedom Dance
Yusef Lateef — Sister Mamie
Archie Shepp — Malcolm, Malcolm, Semper Malcolm
Stanley Turrentine — Good Lookin’ Out
Earl Hines — Black and Tan Fantasy
Oliver Nelson — The Rights of All
Pharoah Sanders — The Creator Has a Master Plan (edit)
John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane — Reverend King
The Ahmad Jamal Trio — The Awakening
Albert Ayler — Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe
Charlie Haden — We Shall Overcome
Alice Coltrane — Blue Nile
Pharoah Sanders — Astral Traveling
Archie Shepp — Blues for Brother George Jackson
Michael White — Lament (Mankind)
Dewey Redman — Imani
Marion Brown — Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim
John Handy — Hard Work
:heart:

7 Likes

A good write up, thanks.

1 Like

On Vinyl:-

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

11 Likes

Another teaser from Lahore based Jaubi’s debut record Nafs at Peace this track Zari is beautifully constructed Spiritual Jazz from Pakistan and London.

My copy is on it’s way only 30 odd copies from a run of 1200 left on Bandcamp.

1 Like

Its a good album but failed to live up to the excellent eps they released before it.

The Groundhogs | 3744 James Road | 2001
Playing the live (disc CD 2 of 2), the live recording is a bit rough but hey, it’s the 'hogs.

5 Likes

Is that the new Third Man pressing?
:heart:

Natalie Bergman, Mercy

1 Like

Lambchop, Showtunes

2 Likes

Rumer - Nashville Tears

6 Likes

That’s a really interesting album, yes, and also sounds quite stunning.

1 Like

I should be a bigger fan but never really devoted enough time to exploring The Cure.

However, I do own this album - Watching Me Fall is such a monumental song - even at 11 minutes it’s too short.

Now playing…

Enrico Rave - The Pilgram and the Stars

Enrico Rava (Trumpet), John Abercrombie (Guitar), Palle Danielsson (Bass) and Jon Christensen (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… a mention from @Miky8 above had me take a trip back in the way back machine to 1975 and place 'The Pilgram and the Stars" in the queue. This was his debut album on the ECM label and he and his talented quartet are sounding sublime! A wonderful way to kick off this cool, overcast and peaceful Saturday morning… Life is grand and the music is sweet!

3 Likes

Alex Chilton and Hi Rhythm Section - Boogie Shoes - Live on Beale Street.

4 Likes