What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :+1:t3: :notes:

4 Likes

St. Vincent - Daddy’s Home. I’ve been enjoying listening to this album over the last week. Not as immediate (nor as good) as Masseduction, but it is slowly getting under my skin. Playing the Rough Trade exclusive bronze vinyl - flat pressing, but a little surface noise improved with RCM.

8 Likes

Yep, i lost interest after blackerthreetracker… got some of their later releases but hardly ever play them. Good live though if i recall.

Adam Douglas - Better Angels

Can’t recall who recommended this but I am really enjoying it. A lovely blend of R&B and Soul, Adam has a lovely voice with an array of catchy choons than bounce along nicely.

Possibly a bit middle of the road/poppy for some, but sometimes I like some easy listening and this is very easy on the ear.

3 Likes

Aside from ‘burn’ and ‘a forest’ i can take it or leave it with them,
Theres some interesting cover versions of their songs floating around, Kaleida do a nice minimal version of ‘A Forest’ for example.

1 Like

No, it’s a Warners U.S.A. pressing from 1977. I think Kevin has a copy of the Third Man pressing.

2 Likes

Now playing…

Kandace Springs - The Women Who Raised Me

Kandace Springs (Fender Rhodes, Piano, Wurlitzer Piano), Steve Cardenas (Guitar), Avishai Cohen (Trumpet), Scott Colley (Bass), Norah Jones (Piano, Vocals), Christian McBride (Bass), Clarence Penn (Drums), Elena Pinderhughes (Flute), Chris Potter (Tenor Saxophone) and David Sanborn (Alto Saxophone).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this Saturday morning with Kandace and this impressive and talented group of musicians and they are sounding sublime! This album released in March 2020 continues to grow on me and sounds better with each spin… Well worth the time to give a listen.

11 Likes

Tangerine Dream - Pergamon

Reissue - 2021 of the historic first live performance of a western band in the eastern block 1980

6 Likes

Gary Numan

Intruder

First listen to Gary’s new album and I like it, will definitely be buying the hires download.

Edward

8 Likes

The Allman Bros Anthology ripped cd via portable hires player. You take it for granted how good the boys up top are but listening on phones makes you appreciate the storming rhythm section - every band should have two drummers!

10 Likes

On limited gold vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Very good it is too :+1:

1 Like

Been playing this alot over the last few days, any other recommendations in a similar style?

3 Likes

20 Likes

This evenings selection. Educating Mrs Bruss

7 Likes

3 Likes

Aswad, such a great band and not for nothing were they known as The Lions Of Labbroke Grove.
A strong band musically with the rhythm section of Angus “Drummie” Zeb and Tony Gadd along with a top horn section schooled in Jazz at the Alpha Boys School in Jamaica, Eddie Tan Tan Thornton, Vin Gordon & Michael Bammie Rose.

Aswad New Chapter (1981 CBS LP)

1981 again! I find it uncannily amazing to be reminded how much great JA, and especially UK Reggae music, came out in the UK in the early eighties whilst mainstream UK rock/pop was going down the pan.

AllMusic Review by Richie Unterberger

New Chapter was one of the career highlights for Aswad, and one of the stronger undiluted reggae albums to appear on a major label in the early '80s. The group at this point had command of several qualities that not many reggae acts were able to combine all at once: strong soulful harmonies, modern squiggly and swooping electronic effects, tight rhythms, a sweetly mournful brass section, and a variety of repertoire that ran from politics and pride to devotion and romance. The result was not only a good record, but also one that contained considerably more variety than much reggae by other artists of similar renown. The vocal harmonies and snazzy horns dovetailed with each other especially nicely on “Natural Progression,” while “I Will Keep on Loving You” and “Didn’t Know the Time” showcased the group’s skill with tuneful ballads that could have found snug homes with American soul vocal groups. The 2002 CD reissue on Columbia/Legacy adds four tracks from 1981 12" singles: “Finger Gun Style” and its dub version (titled “Dub Style”), and an extended version of “Ways of the Lord” and its dub version (titled “Ways of the Dub”)
:heart:

5 Likes

Bands with two drummers, sounds like a potential title for a topic :joy:
:heart:

1 Like

Roxy Music - Manifesto.

Why? I wanted something a little upbeat that reminded me of the 80s. (OK, it was 1979 but I mostly listened to it in the 80s).

Not their best album and I think Roxy Music could be split into two periods based on when they were a band and when they were little more than Ferry’s backing band- this is certainly in the second era.

Even so there are some tracks on this that make me feel 18 or so again; I don’t think I can ask for more than that.

18 Likes