What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Only the symphony of Myaskovsky is more than worth the listening. I was not aware of this music, it’s a great symphony, which I recommend others to listen to.

3 Likes

Vinyl. Not the greatest recording, but a splendid performance from Dave, Paul, Gene and Joe.

10 Likes

Al Jarreau High Crime / 2014 Warner / Japan CD / WPCR28148

Because synth drums were used on most tracks, credits are given as - Skinsoh Umor, Chip McSticks, Tyrone B. Feedback, O. Rapage, Rug Toupé, U. L. Blowby, Champ Time and Tubs Margranate! :laughing:
Great songs on this, from the rocking first track Raging Waters to the excellent last track Fallin’.

5 Likes

Katie Melua - Ultimate Collection

I can’t get enough of Katie’s version of Diamonds Are Forever, which is one of the bonus tracks included here - her beautiful voice and the simplest of arrangements seem so perfect.

11 Likes

Pure Pleasure vinyl, sounding lush…

10 Likes

Leonard Bernstein - Mahler Das Lied Avon Der Erde - vinyl

This work most of all drew me to a love of Gustav Mahler’s music. My first vinyl was by Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra with Richard Lewis and Maureen Forrester. I played it before the King Fischer-Dieskau one.

The work is deeply emotional. There are many versions to choose from. I certainly love the first one. The second seems faster in places, but DFD in his youth sings beautifully.

Give it a spin.

Phil

6 Likes

Ooh…Worth swapping out my original (Music of Our Time) release, I wonder?

13 Likes

naim classical cd / 1992 naim / Free with CD Review Magazine / Austria CD / naimcd1

Excellent music, sound and track selection by Paul Stephenson on this compilation.

3 Likes

The Black Keys - Chulahoma.

The Keys first rendering of the songs of Junior Kimbrough, from 2006, and the perfect companion to the Delta Kream album, so popular here on the forum … belter!

7 Likes

Not heard that one, Steve – but this PP does sound very good…

1 Like

Great album and as Andy P says wonderful in 24 bit. Band did a brilliant in studio track on Later with Jools this week.

13 Likes

Melody Gardot live in Europe for a relaxing Sunday night before work week starts again tomorrow.

10 Likes

Casiopea Halle / 2002 Village / Japan CD / VRCL 2233

1 Like

I assume it’s the same release - the cover is exactly the same - but, um, tweaked by the PP sirens.

I’ll look out for it - don’t try = never know!

Wonder if PP have ever done Rainbow (Esoteric Recordings did, iirc) or Persian Surgery

McCartney.

14 Likes

Unfortunately not Steve.

There’s not enough Wes and too many syrupy strings on this 1967 album, but this new Elemental Records reissue (out this month) sounds absolutely senstional.

4 Likes

Steely Dan countdown to ecstasy / 2011 Geffen / Japan SHM CD / UICY25036

18 Likes

Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life
Further exploration of Wolf Alice after watching there fine set on Glastonbury Festival Presents Live From Worthy Farm 2021.

3 Likes