What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

I’ve never really enjoyed Bob Dylan as a singer, I find his nasal delivery irritating, not taking anything away from his abilities as a songwriter

Dylan fans might recoil at this

Is It Rolling Bob? - A Reggae Tribute To Bob Dylan

Just a bit of fun, some tracks work well others less so.
Gregory Isaac’s cover of Mr Tambourine Man is truly horrid, coming from the late period of his career when his voice had been ruined and turned to a sibilant lisp from rotten teeth and coke abuse.
Thankfully the better outweigh the poor, Apple Gabriel (Israel Vibration) The Times They Are A Changing, I love Luciano’s reading of Knocking On Heavens Door over a nice bouncy one drop riddim, roots veteran Don Carlos on Blowin In The Wind, Beres Hammond modern Lovers Rock take on Just Like A Woman and Sizzla’s transplant of Subterranean Homesick Blues to the dance hall.

Incidentally, Bob Dylan of course reportedly said that Jimmy Cliff’s Vietnam was the best protest song he’d ever heard, dont know if Dylan ever recorded a cover?
Happy Earthday Mr Dylan

:heart:

6 Likes

Joining in the love for Mr. Z! Happy 80th Birthday Bob Dylan. I know it is not his best, but it was the one that got me ‘in’ as it were, so Oh Mercy will always be a firm fav.

19 Likes

Different as usual jazz trio

5 Likes

Another’s one

3 Likes

Happy 80th birthday Mr. Dylan! :tada::champagne:

Can’t decide which of his albums to play so I’m going to randomly dip into this lot for the rest of the day and probably in to the wee hours.

15 Likes

Michael Stanley’s next release was
“Just Another Night” (2008)

2 Likes

Camel | Nude | 1981
Pleasant prog rock with Canterbury scene leanings.

8 Likes

Agnes Obel - Qobuz Playlist

What a lovely way to sample an artist. Gorgeous stuff and sounding great via Qobuz.

7 Likes

15 Likes

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs. Released today, 24th May 1974. Lets Dance was the gateway LP, but this was one of the first records I bought exploring his back catalogue, so will always have a very special place in my collection - you can never have too many copies of Diamond Dogs!

27 Likes

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Mobile Fidelity Hybrid SACD, 2012

20 Likes

Probably one of my favourite Impulse label recordings

Oliver Nelson Sextet - Blues And The Abstract Truth (1995 GRP/Impulse Beer Mat)

Oliver Nelson,Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, George Barrow, Bill Evan’s, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes, produced by Creed Taylor
Cushty!

7 Likes

Wasnt the original sleeve banned/withdrawn for showing his willy?

Emmylou Harris With The Hot Band And Ricky Skaggs ‎– Live In 1978
CD|2013

9 Likes

Doing record-sifting. This is not going on the “go” pile.
Sandie Shaw Me, mono 1965. Recording can be a little sharp, but it’s going nowhere!

9 Likes

Wow @Graeme - that takes me back. I used to have Bob Dylan Writings and Drawings but lost it years ago, and had forgotten about it…seeing it again was great :+1:

1 Like

Some 60’s LA magic

10 Likes

Yes, painted by Guy Peellaert, from Wiki…

“He painted in a very style photorealistic and often used pastel. The album cover of David Bowie’s Diamond Dogs (1974) met with controversy. The cover art features Bowie as a striking half-man, half-dog grotesque. It was controversial as the full painting clearly showed the hybrid’s genitalia. Very few copies of this original cover made their way into circulation at the time of the album’s release. According to the record-collector publication Goldmine price guides, these albums have been among the most expensive record collectibles of all time, as high as thousands of US dollars for a single copy. The genitalia was quickly airbrushed out for the 1974 LP’s gatefold sleeve, although the original artwork (and another rejected cover featuring Bowie in a cordobes hat holding onto a ravenous dog) was included in subsequent Rykodisc/EMI re-issues.”

1 Like

A quick shout out to anyone baulking at the price of the lovely 4LP box set.

Price drop to £121.99 at Juno records, I think it’s worth it when you see the package/presentation

Impulse Records: Music Message And The Moment

3 Likes

Some great tunes on this

5 Likes