What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Streaming…
Two albums originally released on Atlantic in '57 & '61 (according to discogs)
Milt Jackson & Ray Charles - Soul Brothers and Soul Meeting
20210527_133505

AllMusic Review by Cub Koda

…two albums that Milt Jackson made with Ray Charles for Atlantic in 1957 and 1958. With Oscar Pettiford, Connie Kay, and Kenny Burrell in the various lineups, this is bluesy jazz in a laid-back manner; it surprised many hardcore R&B fans when these albums were originally issued. Jackson moves from vibes to piano, and even guitar (on “Bag’s Guitar Blues”), while Ray jumps between piano and alto sax on these sessions. A rare glimpse of Charles’ jazz soul coming up for air.

Various streaming options with variable SQ, nevertheless good music and unusual with the rarely heard (to me) Ray Charles on Alto Sax
The top is the Atlantic 2CD stream but I think this one has better SQ
20210527_135648
:heart:

6 Likes

Bob Mintzer Quartet quality time / 1998 TVT Jazz / US CD / TVT32302

Bob Mintzer Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone, Bass Clarinet
Jimmy Haslip, Jay Anderson Bass
Russell Ferrante Keyboards
Phil Markowitz Piano
Peter Erskine, William Kennedy Drums

1 Like

Sara K. Water falls. I pretty much like all her albums. The queen of audiophile apparently some call her at live in concert. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Birdy young heart. Enough said. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Sings The Blues

4 Likes

Good choice, Geoff! :balloon: :+1:

CD - Narada Jazz 2014 : )

<>

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAMSEY LEWIS! :birthday: :balloon: :balloon:

born on 27th May 1935 in Chicago, Illinois :us:

86 years old Today! :grinning: :+1:

7 Likes

Lisa Stansfield biography, the greatest hits. Haven’t listened to this for so long. It’s more fantastic than I remember it! :relaxed:

4 Likes

Ray Davies - Americana

7 Likes

Streaming, nice 28 track expanded version of the great Junior Byles classic
Beat Down Babylon (Trojan 1972)
One of the best earlier Lee Perry productions pre dating his legendary Black Ark Studio.

And from the same period Africas Blood

Upon release in 1971, Africa’s Blood was the first record Lee “Scratch” Perry released under his own name, although his band The Upsetters do appear on most of the tracks. If any album serves as a good peak into what was happening in Jamaican music in the early 70s, Africa’s Blood is the way to go. There’s an undeniable influence from American contemporary R&B, but still Perry’s signature dub and reggae fusion shines through.

:heart:

5 Likes

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company

15 Likes

Joe Walsh and James Gang compilation CD. 1969 to 1976. Love his playing, he never seems to be in a hurry.

download

11 Likes

Now playing…

Karrin Allyson - In Blue

Karrin Allyson (Vocals), Danny Embrey (Guitar), Mulgrew Miller (Fender Rhodes, Piano), Lewis Nash (Drums) and Peter Washington (Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… finished yesterday’s listening and now kicking off this Thursday morning with Karrin’s ‘In Blue’ album and she and the band are sounding sublime! …lovely vocals and music and a very nice way to ease into the day.

Introduced in 1980, the Linn LM-1 Drum Computer (conceived by Roger Linn) was the first drum machine to use digital samples of acoustic drums. The instrument rapidly gained widespread popularity among musicians in the first part of the decade and thus hugely shaped the pop music sound of the decade. Human League’s 1981 hit “Don’t You Want Me” was the first LM-1 track to chart, and artists like Michael Jackson, Kraftwerk and Phil Collins turned towards the new possibilities. Most notable among it’s Prince, the Mozart of Linn LM-1, who introduced the machine on his album ‘1999’ and used it extensively throughout the decade to produced many of his greatest hits. (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)

4 Likes

San Pedro’s Vision | Subconscious Reflection | 2020
Excellent contemporary psyche come psychedelic prog rock. A great new young band from Liverpool that hopefully will go on to make a full album and more. They have just been introduced to me by way of a bandcamp gift from a friend and forum member @Nick.Lees. I am blown away by this one and am hopeful of more to come from them, loving it.

1 Like

Just the thing while cooking the dinner. A beer. The sun streaming in. Sade.

28 Likes

Yello | Claro Que Si | 1981
Playing some very early Yello with this expanded remaster from a great duo who guarantee to put a smile on yer grid and get the feet tapping. It’s reassuring to still have some quality bands around that have spanned four decades and continue to make good music.

11 Likes

Now playing…

Max Middleton - One Thousand Sails

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… moving on into the late morning with ‘One Thousand Sails’ an album not played since last fall and is sounding sublime!

Triple CD in a 10" box. Even Can’s offcuts are better than most bands’ “proper” albums…

7 Likes

I’m ‘side kick’ :laughing: More birthday celebration for Mr Lewis, with another compilation. Need to get a few more of his other releases, particularly Love Notes and as I haven’t heard Times Flies will check that out too. :+1:

The Best of Ramsey Lewis

5 Likes