What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

9 Likes

Very fine-sounding Blue Note Tone Poet vinyl…

8 Likes

A bit of Mr Jarrett before dinner, CD rip to Core and highly enjoyable it is too

7 Likes

Mick Fleetwood & Friends Celebrate The Music Of Peter Green | 2021
Fortunately this celebration at the London Palladium just got across the line before Lockdowns started. One of my very favourite guitar players well remembered here.

8 Likes

Now playing…

Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields

Eberhard Weber (Bass), Charlie Mariano (Soprano Saxophone, Shenai, Nagaswaram), Rainer Brüninghaus (Keyboards) and Jon Christensen (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Monday morning with Eberhard’s ‘Yellow Fields.’ It is Memorial Day here with sunshine and at the moment a warm 61 degrees (16.11 C) and sunny with temperatures on the rise. The images of yellow fields are brighting up the day. …Eberhar and the quartet are sounding mighty fine, one very sweet album!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure MFP were in Woolies down our way, my dad used to buy a lot of the classical titles
:heart:

3 Likes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time OutTakes
CD|2020

12 Likes

Been feeling pretty unwell most of this weekend, terrible head (not intoxicants) and just havent been able to listen to anything.

The first record I’ve played all weekend, the new Craft Records Kevin Gray mastered/RTI pressed…

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue LP

Typically good mastering & pressing from the above (if ever so fractionally off centre on side 1 but doesnt affect pitch)

If you love Jazz vocal from the period (1959) Billie Holiday/Sarah Vaughan etc you need to hear this
The music is sublime and highly recommended, shame my head wont let me fully appreciate it today

Allaboutjazz.com;
In 1959 Abbey Lincoln was poised to make a truly great album, and Abbey Is Blue was it. Not only was it a breakout performance for Lincoln, who delivered on the promise she had already shown, it was also a breakthrough performance in jazz singing.

With the civil rights movement looming over the horizon, no longer did singers need to stick with standards and Tin Pan Alley tunes and could truly sing about subjects that mattered to them. Lincoln picked up Billie Holiday’s skill at inhabiting the lyrics of a song and projecting its emotional content outward, and these songs, all of which deal with sorrow, are stark and harrowing accounts of loss and injustice. There’s a sense of social protest in the first half that is tempered with weariness from the fight (especially on Lincoln’s own "Let Up ) and "Empty House is surely one of the most melancholy performances on record, featuring isolation and desperation in equal measures.

The backing groups, both Max Roach’s and another all-star combo, are a ghostly presence behind Lincoln, popping up through the murk for an occasional solo, but mostly sticking to sparse backing, highlighting the desolation that pervades the entire album. Only "Afro-Blue (the first vocal version of the tune) and "Long As You’re Living feature anything close to high-powered riffing. Abbey Is Blue may not be pleasant listening, but it’s truly one of the great performances of the fifties and it paved the way for sharply agitated work later on.

7 Likes

Moke Hill - Time Stops Moving

2015 debut (and only album) from this Detroit band. Lovely indie rock.

Peter

1 Like

Now playing…

Eberhard Weber - Silent Feet

Eberhard Weber (Bass), Rainer Brüninghaus (Piano, Synthesizer), Charlie Mariano (Soprano Saxophone, Flutes) and John Marshall (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with Eberhard and this fabulous quartet and they are sounding mighty sweet!

4 Likes

Brad Stivers - Too You Long Enough
CD|2017
Blues

1 Like

Classics For Pleaure came later, iirc.
Would have been too upmarket for our Woolies.

1 Like

9 Likes

Prompted by Imperial
Love Amy Boone’s voice.

Perfect post-pub chill out…

10 Likes

New to me, and very good it is too. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Dont remember Classics For Pleasure, but definitely MFP, some were sort of stereo test records, my dad had a few, one I think was called Stereo Galaxy with a pic of an astronaut on the front and including excerpts of such as Also sprach Zarathustra (the 2001 bit) which I remember sounding pretty good as an impressionable kid thumping out the Ferguson
Edit found it on discogs
R-8045037-1454091324-4045.jpeg
Ron Goodwin Orchestra Also Sprake Zarathusta through to The Original Brasso Band Ob La Di Ob La Da :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, the fugue-like guitar interplay for the last two minutes or so is sublime.
Haven’t played for awhile, will rectify.

1 Like

Now playing…

Eberhard Weber - Little Movements

Eberhard Weber (Bass), Charlie Mariano (Soprano Saxophone, Flute), Rainer Brüninghaus (Piano, Synthesizer) and John Marshall (Drums, Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with another album from Eberhard and this very fine quartet and they are sounding sublime! An album that is simply beautiful…

3 Likes

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble* ‎– Couldn’t Stand The Weather
CD|1984

20 Likes