What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Gabor Szabo - Dreams

Gabor Szabo (Guitar), Ray Alonge (French Horn), Hal Gordon (Percussion), Louis Kabok (Arco Bass, Bass), Jim Keltner (Drums), Gary McFarland (Piano), Tony Miranda (French Horn), George Ricci (Cello), Julius Schacter (Violin), Jimmy Stewart (Classical Guitar) and Brooks Tillotson (French Horn).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… a mention from @anon56814208 on the Jazz Music Thread had me place in the queue and now taking out for a spin and this 1969 release is sounding mighty sweet on the opening track! Looking forward to the rest of the album…

10 Likes

Michael Timmins from Cowboy Junkies has been busy uploading material, available on most streaming platforms

Michael Timmins - Improvisations From the Between Time: Four long pieces of music created by Michael during the height of the first wave of the pandemic in Spring 2020. These are guitar improvisations played overtop of various musical loops created by Michael.

Margo Timmins - The Ty Tyrfu Sessions: Cover songs recorded by Margo and Jeff Bird a few years ago that are finally widely available.

Andy Maize and Michael Timmins - Townies (an audioplay) : A song cycle written and recorded by Michael and Andy. An album born of bad hockey, Covid, Black Lives Matter and age.

4 Likes

Two Against Nature - Steely Dan

The Chris Bellman mastering really makes this and Everything Must Go quite something. Superb.

15 Likes

Boogie with Canned Heat
Pure Pleasure vinyl reissue. @TheKevster thanks for recommending this. The wife didn’t even recognise the opening track because it sounds so different from the best of and a streamed version.

9 Likes

This has all been done before - but not bad.

9 Likes

Ha! That sounds like the kind of thing I say to my twentysomething daughter when she raves about it.

But yes, agree.
Black Box Recorder (vocally) and others I can’t bring to mind.

1 Like

There aren’t many Bobbie boots out there, but this CD is one of them. Known as BBC 68-69 or TV Soundtrack, it comprises excellent audio recordings from her BBC TV shows in 1968 and 69 – as far as I understand, the same source used for the official Live At The BBC album.

TRACKLIST:

“Bobbie Gentry”, BBC2 (UK TV), 1968-07-27 (with guest Donovan)

1. Mississippi Delta [studio version]
  2. Peaceful
  3. Mornin’ Glory [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  4. DONOVAN - Young But Growing
  5. DONOVAN - There Is A Mountain (with Bobbie Gentry)
  6. DONOVAN - Bugs (with Bobbie Gentry)
  7. DONOVAN - A Sunny Day
  8. Sunday Best [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  9. DONOVAN - Hurdy Gurdy Man [He was lip-syncing to the studio version]
  10. Hurry Tuesday Child [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  11. Chickasaw County Child [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]

“Bobbie Gentry”, BBC2 (UK TV), 1969-07-17 (with guest James Taylor)

1. Mississippi Delta [studio version]
  2. Sweet Peony [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  3. Recollection [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’ ]
  4. JAMES TAYLOR - Something In The Way She Moves
  5. JAMES TAYLOR - Knocking Åfround The Zoo
  6. JAMES TAYLOR - Something’s Wrong (with Bobbie Gentry)
  7. John Cameron - Wenceslas Square (Pan’s People dance sequence)
  8. Peaceful
  9. Greyhound Goin’ Somewhere [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  10. Refractions [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  11. JAMES TAYLOR - Country Road
  12. Cotton Candy Sandman [appears on ‘Live at the BBC’]
  13. Chickasaw County Child [studio version]
13 Likes

AJ still has what it takes in this fine album.

11 Likes

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor.

Tone Poet series sounding very good so far.

8 Likes

Retreated inside to listen appropriately to Escape the Flames Binker & Moses live from 2017 on the as usual excellent Gearbox (clear) vinyl. Over an hour of great virtuosity from the tenor/drums duo with a very receptive crowd. This was just the first set at the gig, the second with a few chums was released as Live In The East a few years back.

1 Like

Now playing…

Bill Frisell - Guitar in the Space Age

Bill Frisell (Electric Guitar), Greg Leisz (Pedal Steel, Electric Guitar), Tony Scherr (Bass, Acoustic Guitar) and Kenny Wollesen (Drums, Percussion, Vibes).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with more guitar playing, this time with the fabulous guitarist’s Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz along with talented of Tony Scherr and Kenny Wollesen and they are sounding sublime! A fabulous album and worth the time to give a spin…

4 Likes

More Who today. Trying to listen to albums I neglect. Always conclude ‘why on earth don’t I listen to this more frequently’.

10 Likes

2 Likes

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, (CD rip). Another album from the 71 Apple+ doc, which I don’t listen to enough these days as I tend to favour similar period Dame over The Stones. Good to give it another play to familiarise myself with it. The only thing I’m finding frustrating about this series is that it leaves you wanting more about certain artists or news items. It really is a cracking series. Going to finish this album and watch episode 4 this evening.

17 Likes

Chet baker - Chet Baker sings and plays from the film ‘Let’s Get Lost’, Novus (1989)

I’ve watched this film many times and have wanted a copy of the soundtrack for a long while filmed so close to his death it’s especially poignant and sad as though obviously still not well he was going through an upsurge in popularity and his playing was at times exceptional.

The sleeve notes on the reverse by Herbie Hancock put it much better than me he just had that something and for me at his best as Herbie agrees was up there with Miles Davis.

5 Likes

Don Rendell Ian Carr Quintet - Blue Beginnings, Jazz In Britain (2021)

Finally got my copy of this excellent record and it’s very well done when you take into account this is a non profit not professional label set up by Jazz fans for Jazz fans, excellent.

Can’t wait for my Ian Carr Double Quintet 10" due later this month.

8 Likes

Just chilling…

9 Likes

Now playing…

The Paul Bley Quartet

Paul Bley (Piano), John Surman (Soprano Saxophone, Bass Clarinet), Bill Frisell (Guitar), and Paul Motian (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on through the noon hour with this fabulous album from ‘The Paul Bley Quartet’ and they a sounding sublime! It has not had a spin in awhile and needs to be heard a bit more often…

6 Likes

Followed by:

12 Likes

Various artists - The Problem of Leisure (2021)

A tribute album that is never less than interesting. I particularly like Love Like Anthrax, featuring Gary Numan. All the Go4 fans here should prolly check this out.

3 Likes