What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Nice selection! It’s a feature of Tidal that I find quite useful and entertaining when I cant be arsed. The monthly round up of what you’ve been listening too as well.

How do you find the sound of MQA? I’ve been listening to mostly Tidal for about a year or so now and I’m sure I hear a strange colouration to the sound, difficult to describe but also a kind of bloom or bloat to the sound. I’ve found in quite a few cases that the CD res files still sound better than the “HiRes” MQA
:heart:

How good does this album sound, 50 years on
#jimmymiller

18 Likes

Billy F Gibbons, hardware. Work day is done. Feel like using something strong. This one is great. :+1:

9 Likes

Les Paul & Friends - A Tribute To A Legend

7 Likes

Hi Dread - yup great selection of 50 odd that actually got better - not sure the neighbours agreed tho! New for me was Johnny Clarke.

Jury’s out on MQA - hugely variable, sometimes dead sounding other times superb. Qobuz hires is for me consistently better. Could be the source material, time of day, mental state etc etc.

1 Like

Tift Merritt, the bramble rose. Nice change of pace. :relieved:

5 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

Agree in terms of SQ I think, but I find Tidal seems to better reflect my tastes and I prefer the way it works

1 Like

The listening revelation for me of the last 15 months. The four different channels, the main mix going all over the place, no adverts, high quality FLAC feed, AND I’ve found some amazing music that I’d never have discovered otherwise.

It also sounds amazing on both my main and office systems!

8 Likes

The Manhattan Project / 1990 Blue Note / US CD / CDP7942042

Wayne Shorter Saxophone
Michel Petrucciani Piano
Stanley Clarke Bass
Gil Goldstein, Pete Levin Keyboards
Lenny White Drums

3 Likes

Another of the fantastic insightful Life In Dub Podcasts
A cornerstone of UK Reggae, Dub and beyond the great Mad Professor tells his fascinating story…

20210610_110423

This week may guest is Mad Professor. We have been planning this interview since the start of the podcast, so it was great to finally get to talk about his life in dub. We get some amazing insight into how he started out, the barriers he encountered, and the struggles he overcame at the start of an incredible career, as well as talk about his new book he is writing as well as tales of Jah Shaka, Sandra Cross and more … Enjoy !!

5 Likes

Robin Trower, Maxi Priest and Livingstone Brown - United State of Mind.

If ever proof were needed that the sum can equal more than the parts, then this album provides it in spades.

Chuck rock guitarist Trower, and reggae legend Priest into the ring, with Livingstone Brown as referee, and the surprising outcome is a hugely satisfying album … who could ever have imagined?

10 Likes

I could! Maxi is a great artist, very diverse. (I posted my friend John Masouri’s Echoes Review here and on the Reggae thread recently)
I’m expecting to see Maxi Priest next month at Hastings Reggae Festival (Covid permitting I guess) although he’s currently holed up in JA

2 Likes

My Morning Jacket - Z
A perfect blend of indie rock, psychedelia, folk and blues.

7 Likes

Sonny Clark Cool Struttin’ / 1999 Blue Note / US CD / RVG Edition / 724349532724

15 Likes

Following on from Mad Professors Life In Dub podcast above…

The Lost Scrolls Of Moses

1 Like

Alison Krauss - A Hundred Miles or More

Lovely American Folk Music with great lyrics. Such a beautiful voice.

Phil

13 Likes

Time for some Texas raunch from this Austin duo:

Ghost Wolves Man Woman Beast

1 Like

19 Likes

I was too young for this when it came out. I bought it earlier in the year and it’s great.

22 Likes