What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Just finished…

Anouar Brahem - The Astounding Eyes of Rita

Anouar Brahem (Oud), Klaus Gesing (Bass Clarinet), Björn Meyer (Bass) and Khaled Yassine (Darbouka, Bendir).

Streamed on Qobuz (44.1/24)… I started today’s exercise routine with th fantastic ‘The Astounding Eyes of Rita’ from Anouar Brahem and he and the member of the quartet sounded sublime! I fell in love with the opening track the first time I heard the album and this is one very sweet album!

4 Likes

Now playing…

Anouar Brahem Trio - Astrakan Cafe

Anouar Brahem (Oud), Barbaros Erköse (Clarinet) and Lassad Hosni (Bendir, Darbouka).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)…continuing on through the noon hour with my exercises and with Anouar, Barbaros and Lassad and they are sounding sublime! A fantastic trio…

5 Likes

10 Likes

A band I discovered by accident. A mate and I meet up once a year for a gig, there weren’t any of our regular bands that year so we just saw whoever was playing at our favourite venue, the Brixton Academy.

I enjoyed them, my mate not so much.

1 Like

Sounds of Blackness The Very Best of

Sounds of Blackness

5 Likes

Turned off the tedious footer - Sweden showing zero ambition makes it attack v defence. So bunged on the exhilarating Can Live in Stuttgart 1975 set. On Mute orange vinyl - never know whether to lick it or play it! Hard to imagine it was recorded by a geezer in a big coat with microphones in each sleeve and a Walkman down his pants.

6 Likes

A collaboration of Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, David Torn and Chris Botti.

The track Deeper Blue could go on for ever as far as I am concerned - a beautiful piece of music with wonderful trumpet playing from Botti.

3 Likes

15 Likes

Lute music from Dowland to Britten. Wonderful.

8 Likes

bbc531601f0e5230b4d51ce384e8d0feb99aced855789d98e18cc9aa4564be6c_256x256
Will Stratton - Changing Wilderness
Which is excellent. For fans of Nick Drake, John Martin. Ryley Walker. with a bit of Beth Orton in there. Or none of them depending on what you like! But do seek it out for a listen.

3 Likes

That accords with my thoughts on this one too. I’d rather play the released albums every time.

12 Likes

Now playing…

Ali Farka Touré with Ry Cooder - Talking Timbuktu

Ali Farka Touré (Banjo, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Percussion, Six String Banjo, Vocals), Ry Cooder (Cumbus, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Electric Guitar, Steel Guitar, Mandolin, Marimba, Sampling, Tamboura, Vocals), Oumar Touré (Bongos, Choir/Chorus, Congas, Vocals), Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown (Electric Guitar, Viola, Jim Keltner (|Drums), John Patitucci (Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Bass Guitar) and Hamma Sankare (Calabash, Choir/Chorus, Percussion, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this afternoon with this fantastic album and Ali, Ry and the talented group of musicians are sounding mighty sweet!

18 Likes

Bee Gees - The Record: Their Greatest Hits, on hdcd.

8 Likes

Double vinyl – one of the very best of Dylan’s 21st century records:

18 Likes

LIONEL_RICHIE_BACK+TO+FRONT+-+SEALED-245803

5 Likes

Lemon Jelly Lemonjelly.ky / 2000 XL Recordings / UK CD / IFXLCD139

5 Likes

So young…which means, gulp, so was I…

My first video post, too!

8 Likes

81DBUqmM2xL.SS500

5 Likes

Really enjoyed this album, definite return to form. Vinyl is good but mix slightly muddy in places, but don’t let that put you off, the songs are strong!

4 Likes