What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Thomas Fonnesbæk & Justin Kauflin - Synesthesia

Thomas Fonnesbæk (Bass) and Justin Kauflin (Piano).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… opening up this Thursday morning and going with an album released in 2018 and mentioned by @GeoffC above and the opening track is sounding mighty fine! …looking forward to the rest of the album. A nice review at 'All About Jazz’ website here.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I did indeed Eoin. Love it!

1 Like

10 Likes

Camel | The Single Factor | 1982
Not their best as they were starting to sound like Styx and rather too “popy” for my liking but there are still one or two nuggets in here.

3 Likes

Back to the Miles Bootleg 5. this third LP is actually the best, as the session reels contain pretty much complete numbers, and the material (“Nefertiti”, “Water Babies”, “Masquelero”, etc) is superior.

5 Likes

The Union. Debut album. 2010. Classic bluesy melodic hard rock. Strong material imho.

“Thunder guitarist Luke Morley and ex-Winterville frontman Peter Shoulder. That Morley almost single-handedly penned Thunder’s entire catalogue is well known; we expect nothing less than quality from him. But for Shoulder, a guy still in his mid-20s, to be performing at this level already is nothing short of stunning. It’s not just his rich, soulful voice – think David Coverdale meets Chris Cornell – it’s his writing, which is up there with people twice his age, and more. That he has joined Eric Clapton and Peter Green as one of just three Brits to have bagged a WC Handy Blues Foundation award for The American Blues Song of the Year is almost as gob-smacking as how criminally overlooked the short-lived Winterville were.”

R-4008116-1357569310-7222.jpeg

2 Likes

and I still remember stood in the fish and chip shop outside the east gate to the wall at York listening to Video Killed The Radio Star. Actually when I say ‘stood’, since we were coming back from ‘the wellie’ after several pints of Old P, I think there was probably some heavy slouching against the counter :wink:

3 Likes

F548DEC0-136D-49E8-BD66-432710B4AB34

17 Likes

I find it fascinating that a certain tune can transport us back in time as though it were yesterday. You have my warmest wishes and I hope you have a lovely day.

1 Like

Now playing…

Ketil Bjornstad - Flagstad - The Opera

Ketil Bjørnstad (Composer), Einar Bjørge (Director), Birgitte Christensen (Kirsten Flagstad), Eldrid Gorset (Deaconess) and Bernt Ola Volungholen (Bernhard Miles and Henry Johansen).

Stefan Ibsen Zlatanos (Musical Direction), Hans-Kristian Kjos Sørensen (Percussion), Hanne Rekdal (Flutes), Elisabeth Lund Tomter (Viola) and Jon Åsnes (Double Bass).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)…a mention from @DrDavid above had me place in the queue. Composed by Ketil and recorded at a live dress rehearsal on November 5, 2020 and released on June 10, 2010. Opera is not my usual genre but do enjoy Ketil quite a bit so thought I would take it out for a spin. Sung in English so a bonus… and enjoying the opening tracks, sounding mighty fine!

2 Likes

Michael Franks Music In My Head / 2018 Shanachie / US CD / SH5459

3 Likes

7 Likes

Hardware | 2021
Billy F. Gibbons has been a constant in my musical life for fifty years since the first 'Tops album was released in '71, obviously I love his take on blues rock stuff and he still keeps knocking it out. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Now playing…

Ketil Bjornstad - A passion for John Donne

Ketil Bjørnstad (Piano), Håkon Kornstad (Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Voice), Birger Mistereggen (Percussion) and the Oslo Chamber Choir: directed by Håkon Daniel Nystedt.

Streaming on NAS… continuing on this Thursday morning another album from Ketil that has music and poetry blended together, pure joy. Love Ketil’s description, “It is in the language, in the rhythm, in the silence between the sentences - a passionate quest for meaning and reconciliation.” I love this album and Ketil and the musicians accompanying him are sounding sublime! One beautiful and sweet album…

2 Likes

Joey Alexander My Favorite Things / 2015 Motéma / EU CD / 233988

2 Likes

ZZ Top | XXX | 1999
One of my favourite 'Tops album where they started to go off piste to great affect. It also has one of the best Elvis tribute impersonations you’ve possibly never heard (track 11 [Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear]

6 Likes

Enjoying Curtis, wonderful voice

12 Likes

JJ Cale. Debut album. Important album imho. Clapton/Skynyrd etc.

71MXHLNuKbL.AC_SX355

17 Likes

13 Likes