What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Can’t agree more! Putting my Spendor D9 bass drivers to work with Toccata and Fugue. Subs not hooked up to them. Can’t imagine how it would sound when I do. :wink:

1 Like

Underworld A Hundred Days Off / 2002 V2 Records / Japan Promo CD / V2CP140

10 Likes

Will happily OD on Widor while imagining you and bride walking out of church showered with confetti or maybe petals or sparkles… to the horse drawn carriages waiting outside… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Bach’s complete organ work is 17 hours long. I might OD before I get to Widor.

1 Like

@igahman
Jools In Jamaica
I have a pristine tape of this recorded from The Tube at the time. Some priceless footage and vibe
I found this on YouTube, quality is not great and I dont think its complete but worth a look

:heart:

3 Likes

A superb track with amazing acoustic bass…beautiful…give it a try.

3 Likes

Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy is one of my favourite Elton albums and it sounds as good today as it did when I bought it in my teens.

21 Likes

Not bad considering it was basically recorded in a bedroom. Is that actually a different mix to the original as you suggest?

Their first two albums Labour Of Love and Present Arms, well three actually including Present Arms In Dub are still their best imo, Reggae influenced but at the same time having some originality. I started to lose interest when they went the covers route with the Labour Of Love albums, not taking anything away from their passion for this music but when your familiar with the originals

“Because we couldn’t afford a studio and he was the only guy we knew who knew how to record music, we did the album in his bedsit. I remember he had his bed on stilts. So underneath the bed was a sofa and mixing desk. And so we recorded the album there on an eight-track machine, with the same 50p coin going through the electric meter continually because we’d booted the lock off it. And, with it being a bedsit and us being eight in the band, we’d record the saxophone in the kitchen—because there was a bit of resonance off the walls, a bit of reverb—before putting the machine effects on it. While the percussion—the tambourines, the congas, the drums—we’d do in the back yard. Which is why you can hear birds singing on some of the tracks! You know, because it was in the daytime we’d be shouting across the fences ‘Keep it DOWN! We’re RECORDING!’” - Brian Travers (Wikipedia)

1 Like

Listening to this right now - such a great album from their side. Being played LOUD, as it should.

4 Likes

The version I have is a 2020 reissue - having taken another look at the LP I can’t see mention of a remix. If it is the same mix as the original, and that was essentially a bedroom recording, it’s an incredibly well produced record.

2 Likes

Prompted by the sad death of Meatloaf I thought this deserved a spin

Ellen Foley - Night Out

For the uninitiated Ellen Folley was the long time backing singer on the early Meatloaf albums and was the female vocalist on Paradise By The Dashboard Light on Bat Out Of Hell.
This is her debut 1979 release which was produced by Mick Ronson and had the majority of Ian Hunters backing band at the time as musicians and my original vinyl copy still sounds pretty good.

5 Likes

Great album - would love to get hold of Signals on vinyl - can’t seem to find a copy.

Michael Franks The Music In My Head / 2018 Shanachie / US CD / SH5459

4 Likes

I think there was a repress/re-issue a few years back, so should still be available as new somewhere with a little luck. Or, if you’re ever in Denmark, swing by and I’ll gift you my second copy!

1 Like

No I’m not aware of a remix. It was your saying the red vinyl mix that prompted my curiosity.
Yes Bob Lamb did a good job of the sound despite not being a proper studio
Enjoy

1 Like

The always excellent Aimee Mann and her solo debut, Whatever. Brilliant pop music. I’m amazed to realise this album is now nearly 30 years old.

12 Likes

71a5AeB0Q4L.SS500
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose, with Gary Moore in tow.

17 Likes

Her vocal on Rush’s ‘Time Stand Still’ made a great track even better.

Excellent album indeed, my favorite from Aimee Mann (and one I really wish I had on vinyl).

2 Likes

Thanks Dread.:+1:

1 Like

I’m not familiar with that - I’ll have to seek it out.