What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

David Gilmour (Guitar, Vocals), Nick Mason (Drums), Roger Waters (Bass Guitar, Vocals), Richard Wright (Keyboards).

Streaming on Qobuz (192/24)… continuing on this morning with this latest release/remix of the Pink Floyd’s Animals and it is sounding mighty sweet!

21 Likes

Van Morrison - Too Long In Exile

He da man.

Mind you, John Lee Hooker shows Van how to do it on a couple of tracks on this. ‘Gloria’ is just…er…glorious.

17 Likes

The fabulous record store day mono version that came out this year

13 Likes

Near the new tube station, which my brother calls Battersea Power Station Station.

3 Likes

Nearest tube to Britannia Row (RIP) was/is Angel.

Now playing…

Japan - Quiet Life

David Sylvian (Guitar, Vocals), Richard Barbieri (Keyboards, Synthesizer, Vocals), Rob Dean (Guitar, Vocals), Steve Jansen (Drums, Percussion, Vocals) and Mick Karn (Bass, Flute, Saxophone, Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on this morning with Japan and the band is sounding mighty sweet!

18 Likes

Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

Lovely on 1984 vinyl. This is the one that gets all the five-star reviews, and I like it so much that I flew the 1,200 from Fort Lauderdale to NY a few years back just to hear the Bunnymen play it in its entirety at the glorious Radio City Music Hall. After the show, a couple of people heard my English mate and I talking in our obviously non-American accents. They asked us to translate McCulloch’s impenetrable Scouse stage patter. We claimed it was easy to understand, and gave them some old nonsense; the truth is, we had no idea what Mac had been saying. Anyway, yes, Ocean Rain = classic. But I like this one more:

Heaven Up Here, from 1981. Over The Wall is probably my favourite song of theirs, and side 2 is pure magic.

11 Likes

I bow to your London knowledge. But I couldn’t resist the joke.

1 Like

Fabulous 45RPM version

11 Likes

John Coltrane - Blue Train The Complete Masters (Qobuz HR/Blue Note)

Streaming this from curiosity as the new Tone Poet vinyl editions of these are now out. A single vinyl re issue of the original Mono release and a seperate double vinyl of the Stereo mix and outtakes.
For a start the digital stream includes both Mono & Stereo versions and the out takes so a great way to check it out. (the two seperate Tone Poet vinyl issues combined costing nearly £100)

I already have a great sounding Music Matters 33 Mono, so asking myself do I need the new Tone Poet Stereo and out takes.

On first listen my answer is no, I cant hear any reason to want me to buy another Stereo copy (I have others) over the Mono which I prefer. And as is often the case in my view, the out takes and alternatives are mildly interesting but were obviously discarded for a reason.
The master take of the album is still in my humblest of opinions the way to hear it.

:heart:

14 Likes

12 Likes

It seems the front cover features a hand drawn pencil image by Lithuanian artist Aiste Stancikaite, commissioned exclusively for the project.

I wonder if she has ever seen a photo of MF.

2 Likes

Now playing…

Anaïs Mitchell - Young Man In America

Anaïs Mitchell (Guitar, Vocals), Ara Anderson (Trumpet), Andrew Borger (Drums), Rob Burger (Accordion, Organ), Michael Chorney (Acoustic Guitar), Ben Goldberg (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet), Jefferson Hamer (Electric Guitar, Vocals), Adam Levy (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Jessica Lurie (Flute), Rachel Ries (Vocals), Jenny Scheinman (Violin), Brandon Seabrook (4-String Banjo, Electric Guitar, Noise), Todd Sickafoose (Acoustic Bass, Electric Bass, Piano), Chris Thile (Mandolin, Vocals) and Kenny Wollesen (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with this 2012 release from Anaïs and she and the band are sounding mighty sweet!

4 Likes

Heather Nova – Other Shores
CD|2022

Purchased after seeing posted here. First listen. Interesting take on these covers. Enjoying the album so far.

4 Likes

The great Bobbie Gentry.

With a lovely cover painting as someone said awhile ago…sorry, forget who…it sure is.

10 Likes

Stu Larsen - Vagabond

I have always liked this album but today is the first time I have heard it with the 500DR.

Blimey, what a revelation. Wonderful stuff.

3 Likes

A new acquisition, second listen

Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victime, more Taureg rock, with lots of guitar and nods to Tinariwen along the way.

1 Like

1971 - A Clockwork Orange // OST

16 Likes

I’ve not had a record arrive in the post like that Doc, but I have just purchased some double outer sleeves that protect the cover and, separately, allow easier access to the record. The disc appears outside the sleeve but is protected separately. The audiophile commentator Michael Ludwigs (45rpm Audiophile) uses this product, from Canadian company vinyl storage solutions.

I don’t know if what I’ve described is familiar to your experience. If so, it might be a good sign - a record store allowing record collectors to view the quality of the disc without having to take out the vinyl and get their grubby hands on it. But an odd way to ship LPs, for sure.

On reflection, I’ve absolutely no idea.

Agree! And it’s got Song For Guy on it, wonderful song.

2 Likes