What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Arilid Andersen Group - Affirmation

Arild Andersen (Double Bass), Marius Neset (Tenor Saxophone), Helge Lien (Piano) and Håkon Mjåset Johansen (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Saturday morning with newly released album, October 27th, from Arilid Anderson and he and the quartet are sounding sublime! Easing into the day with some fresh fruit and a cup of coffee and some fabulous music…

1 Like

Just got round to these two arrived yesterday after doing my back in

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus (Candid)

Relieved to find my pressing is a good un, over on Hoffman lots of complaints about pressing quality of this series, apart from some problems with Lightnin Hopkins I’ve bought all the titles so far released without issue.
If I was to nit pick my copy is very fractionally off centre but nothing significant.

Gil Scott Heron - Pieces Of A Man (Ace/Flying Dutchman)

Really enjoying this 2×45 rpm cut by Frank Merrit, retaining the lovely fullsome warm analogue sound, he hasn’t thrown the baby out with the bathwater as can sometimes be the case with too much interference from some remastering engineers.
Until very recently Frank Merritt and The Carvery have been new names to me, but since I"ve bought a few titles cut by him that have all been consistently excellent, good news as Pieces Of A Man is a fantastic album that deserves not to be messed up.
Fine pressing too

:heart:

10 Likes

Funny, theres a lot of complaints on Hoffman re the pressings of all these new BG Candids, no one here myself included seem to have had any significant issues, wonder if their getting different pressings over the pond

Always great service and often cheaper than others, been using them since they launched way back when and always a pleasure to deal with

On vinyl: Elvis Costello & Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory.

15 Likes

Love that album and far too long since I’ve played it, on tomorrows list.

1 Like

No agreed, always had great service from them. Another one I’ve had brilliant results from are Banquet, they’ve managed to source me a couple of albums recently that I couldn’t get elsewhere , and at decent prices, most recently a new copy of Bjorks debut.

1 Like

5 Likes

Jerry Lee Lewis - Sun Singles (Sundazed 2LP)

The Killer!

RIP and Respect due, a whole lotta shakin in heaven (or is it hell) right now

9 Likes

Some Buckley as the soundtrack to preparing supper. Couldn’t decide which one so bunged on this excellent Rhino compo cd that lets you hear the singer/songwriter/bluesy material alongside the more challenging stuff.

9 Likes

That’s such a great album. I love it to bits!!

1 Like

Oddly, not my usual listening but some great up tempo background tunes while I drudge through some chores…

I remember reading years ago an explanation as to why stuff that sounds good on the car radio doesn’t translate well to the hifi - well, forget that, it sounds awesome!

1 Like

UK first press vinyl - love Alex Sadkin’s super-synthetic production:

15 Likes

6 Likes

Second copy on my shelves…

1 Like

Bob Andy’s Songbook (Studio One)

The truly legendary and great Bob Andy, some of his best songs in there first recorded versions in the late sixties at Studio One compiled by the label in early seventies following his success with Marcia Griffiths (Bob & Marcia Young Gifted And Black)

2 Likes

Listening to this girl live……often the backing singer to 70/80’s stars. Some Feat playing very nice.

3 Likes

Another 40 epic tracks … what a Beatles marathon :+1:

7 Likes

12 Likes

How come it’s your second copy?

I’ve ended up with three! Lost my original tape copy. Bought a second hand LP that’s in fairly bad condition. Lept on the reissue, but a bit fed up it’s split over 2 LPs, and cuts the transition between The Big E and God’s Own Girl in two!? :scream: So bought a nice original off Discogs.

It’s a difficult call but it vies for my favourite all time album - brings back many happy memories. Glad there’s a few of us fans in here :smiley:

1 Like