What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

This time only Henri, drums and sax…., but still enjoyable going through some standards….

On Vinyl:
71eoMIV+ZjL.AC_UY436_QL65

9 Likes

Graham Collier- British Conversations (My Only Desire 2LP 3 sided)

Been enjoying this on stream anticipating this vinyl edition

To commemorate the 10th year since the passing of esteemed British jazz composer, bassist and bandleader Graham Collier, My Only Desire Records presents this 1975 recording of his previously unreleased suite British Conversations.

The recording features lead soloists trumpeter Harry Beckett and guitarist Ed Speight, alongside The Swedish Radio Jazz Group - made up of the hottest players on the '70s Scandi jazz scene - including saxophonists Arne Domnérus, Claes Rosendahl and Lennart Åberg, trumpeter Jan Allan, pianist Bengt Hallberg, guitarist Rune Gustafsson and drummer Egil Johansen. Collier steers the band through the five-part suite that encompasses beautifully composed melodies, driving jazz rock and as many extremes as the British weather that inspired its name.

Remastered from the original tapes by Caspar Sutton-Jones @ Gearbox Records, British Conversations comes with sleeve notes by Graham Collier biographer Duncan Heining. Graham Collier (1937 - 2011) was one of the most accomplished, popular and collectable British jazz artists during the Brit-jazz heyday of the '60s and '70s, with his career of musically challenging yet hugely rewarding albums spanning five decades. His early LPs Deep Dark Blue Centre (Deram, 1967), Down Another Road (Fontana, 1969) and Darius (Mosaics, 1974,) are rightly considered classics of the era. Released in co-operation with the Collier estate, we hope this wonderful record leads to many new people discovering and enjoying the music of Graham Collier.

:heart:

2 Likes

It was 53 years ago today…

21 Likes

LLoyd Cole and the Commotions. Easy Pieces. Vinyl. This arrived in the household when we got married nearly 30 yrs ago. Not played often but it is er, um,…ok.

6 Likes

THE_BLUE_NILE_A+WALK+ACROSS+THE+ROOFTOPS+-+EX-5959741

THE_BLUE_NILE_A+WALK+ACROSS+THE+ROOFTOPS+-+EX-595974b1

THE BLUE NILE A Walk Across The Rooftops (Original 1983 vinyl on the Linn Records label, their debut album included the singles Tinseltown In The Rain and Stay.

25 Likes

Bunny Wailer - In I Fathers House (Solomonic)

Bunny’s brilliant album from around 1980, great tracks every one, Roots Radics Rockers Reggae, Rock In Time, Rockers, Wirly Girly, Let Him Go, and the lovely Love Fire which some may be familiar with from the cover by Mick Hucknall.
Pressed on a relatively clean and typically heavy slab of Jamaican vinyl with the thumping bass cut deep and heavy as it should be.

Blessed Roots Rock Reggae, I love the man, of the original Wailers he’s the one I most connect with

5 Likes

Ruts The Crack, 1979.

Always good to hear Babylon’s Burning
And as the runout says: We’ll grin and bear it for you…If you’ll grin and bear it for us

7 Likes

Todays listening

Atb
Kk

5 Likes

Horace Andy - Dance Hall Style (Wackies)

Definitely one of the jewels in the crown from Lloyd Bullwackie Barnes Wackies label and studio in the Bronx and one of Horace Andy’s best albums period.
Despite the misleading title this is militant deep roots and dub with the distinctly unique Wackies signature sound and voice of Horace Andy. The sound was an influence on the later Techno genre with Rhythm n Sound and Basic Channel who became distributors of the Wackies label.
In fact Wackies is often regarded as a sub genre of JA music/Reggae in it’s own right.
One for Massive Attack fans too, check the original cut here of Spying Glass.

There was a time when Wackies music was scarce but now thanks to good distribution it’s out there on all formats including streaming, so wot yer waiting for!

7 Likes

And I remember watching the TV news coverage almost as clearly as I do All You Need Is Love

1 Like

Manfred Mann’s Earth Band | Angel Station | 1979
Another album originally bought on dodgy cassette in downtown Cairo, I’ve got to replace the album art on this one.

12 Likes

Due out late Feb

5 Likes

Christopher Cross. Another Page, 2nd album, 1983. The musicians credits on this read like a Whos Who. From memory his first album was also given the works by the record company. I love his first 2 albums. Apparently MTV stuffed his career.

11 Likes

Ute Lemper sings Kurt Weill (in German)

Show me the way to the next whisky bar…

12 Likes

Ese asked me to record last night’s set so that she could hear what her new musicians/collaborators sounded like. Just listening to it now and they sound fabulous!
•First Set
Fairytale – Up In Smoke – She Said – I Don’t Mind – Where Did I Go Wrong?/Dub/Family Affair – Grey
•Second Set
Home Is Where The Hatred Is – Something Borrowed/Back To My Roots – Alien – Untitled – Lies – Pain Fades – Silver Spoon – Surf (Instrumental)

15 Likes

I always forget how good the SQ is on this record

23 Likes

Looks wonderful…….i bet it sounded amazing even without a hifi power block?

1 Like

Hint taken. :grin:

1 Like

More Wackies…

The Wackies Rhythm Force - African Roots Act 2

Dubwise

3 Likes