What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

If it was, I’d be round…lol…

Turning Point - ‘Silent Promise’ (1978). Delightfully understated instrumental Jazz Rock from the late 1970s beautifully recorded on the Gull label. I say instrumental, there is a female vocalist (Pepi Lemer) but she uses her voice as an instrument rather than singing words. They made one other album ‘Creatures of the Night’ (1977). There was also an early 1979 appearance on the OGWT on BBC2 which I haven’t seen since!

1 Like

John Williams, Jurassic Park. 20th anniversary. Happy birthday John Williams. :birthday:

Thank you @Debs. :blush:

Saw it performed live although wasn’t by John himself and it wasn’t the Vienna Philharmonic. Fond memories nevertheless. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Spyro Gyra Incognito / 2005 Amherst / US CD / AMH80042

Jay Beckenstein Saxophone
Tom Scott Lyricon
Jeremy Wall, Jorge Dalto, Richard Tee Piano
Marcus Miller, Will Lee Bass
Crusher Bennett, David Samuels Congas
Chet Catallo, Hiram Bullock, John Tropea, Steve Love Guitar
Toots Thielemans Harmonica
Gerardo Velez, Manolo Badrena Percussion
Rob Mounsey, Tom Schuman Synthesizer
Steve Gadd Drums

10 Likes

A heart warming album from Simon Nicol (supported by various Fairports)

5 Likes

LP - Geffen Records 1987 : )

<>

Pat Metheny – acoustic and electric guitars, guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays – piano, keyboards
Steve Rodby – acoustic and electric bass
Paul Wertico – drums
Armando Marçal – percussion, backing vocals
Mark Ledford – vocals
David Blamires – vocals

Recorded at The Power Station, New York City 1987

<<>>

15 Likes

16 Likes

515FLr-2mUL.AC
Taj Mahal - Giant Step, this cd version also includes the De Old Folks At Home lp as well.

11 Likes

LP - Verve [Speakers Corner analogue reissue]

<<>>

Jimmy Smith, aged 79, passed away on this day in 2005.

A fantastic musician who has left us a huge catalogue of wonderful albums!
His music has the ability to cheer up the whole household, and radiate feel good factor happiness, …with the help of the volume knob :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

James Oscar Smith 1925-2005

15 Likes

Just finished listening to ABBA Voyage, which I’m listening to rather a lot since getting it as a Christmas press. I think it’s a lovely album and firmly on my current playlist. Now listening to Pearl Jam Gigaton for a bit of contrast. It’s the first outing for this album since I got my new Vetere arm and it sounds rather good!

3 Likes

Now playing…

Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad

Donald Fagen (Keyboards, Vocals), Walter Becker (Bass, Guitar), Randy Brecker (Flugelhorn, Horn, Trumpet), Cornelius Bumpus (Tenor Saxophone), Angela Clemmons-Patrick (Vocals), Leroy Clouden (Drums, Percussion), Ronnie Cuber (Baritone Saxophone), Illinois Elohainu (Tenor Saxophone), Lawrence Feldman (Flute, Tenor Saxophone), Frank Floyd (Vocals), Diane Garisto (Vocals), Paul Griffin (Hammond Organ), Any Helm (Vocals), Bashiri Johnson (Percussion), Birch Johnson (Trombone), Mindy Joslyn (Vocals), Mindy Jostyn (Vocals), Brenda King (Vocals), Curtis King (Vocals), Paul Marchetti (Drums), Lou Marini (Clarinet, Flute, Alto Saxophone), Dennis McDermott (Drums), Jenni Muldaur (Vocals), Chris Parker (Drums), Christopher Parker (Drums), Jim Pugh (Trombone), Tim Ries (Tenor Saxophone), Roger Rosenberg (Baritone Saxophone), Alan Rubin (Flugelhorn, Trumpet), Catherine Russell (Vocals), Katherine Russell (Vocals), Art Smith (Drums), Dian Sorel (Vocals), Fonzi Thornton (Vocals), David Tofani (Flute, Tenor Saxophone) and Georg “Jojje” Wadenius (Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on through the noon hour as I start up today’s exercise routine with Donald Fagen’s ‘Kamakiriad’ album and he and the band are sounding sublime! I have loved this album since I first picked it up in '93… one sweet album.

20 Likes

“Turning Point - ‘Silent Promise’ (1978)” …I could not find the album on Qobuz. Do you have any other album titles from the band?

1 Like

The Honey Dewdrops, the tangled country. Been wanting to play this for so long. Finally it is time. So many awesome suggestions from everyone here. What a great problem to have! :+1:

I wonder what’s the cryptic message on the cover. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m sure I have a copy of the original. I’ll dig it out and give it a listen. Thanks.

City Sun Eater In The River Of Light - Woods

1 Like

Well @johnt posted these guys earlier……playing into another album. On my radar JT👍

7 Likes

The other album by Turning Point is ‘Creatures of the Night’. Just the two albums. Short lived I’m afraid. They both came out on vinyl back in the day and there was a CD set issued containing both albums a few years back. Not sure if they have made it to any of the streaming platforms.

13 Likes

Esbjorn Svensson is such a loss to the world of modern jazz.
One of his best -

10 Likes

Alela Diane, live in the map room. So smooth. So tranquil. :relaxed:

5 Likes