What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Vladimir Horowitz - ‘The Studio Recordings - New York 1985’ (1986). I love these DG discs Horowitz made when he was in his eighties, a last link to an era of pianism now gone. I can’t believe they are over 30 years old! In this period he played shorter pieces which conserved his energies somewhat whilst letting the pyrotechnics of old come to the fore occasionally, for example in ‘Kreisleriana’ and at the end of the Scriabin Op. 8 No. 12 Etude. He had unique style making every piece seem fresh and different, an event each time he played it. Wonderful!

8 Likes

Vanessa Fernandez, Use Me. I’d been streaming this album for about a year. I couldn’t quite bring myself to pay the asking price for the record. Finally my mum gave it to me for Christmas. Fab!

4 Likes

It’s just finished, so you can come back now. You missed a real treat!

1 Like

@igahman

19 Likes

81Bdbtrw0dL.SS500
Eric Clapton - Just One Night.

15 Likes

LP - Simply Vinyl 2000 reissue : )

<>

Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking

Sandy Denny – vocals, harpsichord
Richard Thompson – electric and acoustic guitars, electric dulcimer, piano accordion, organ, backing vocals
Ashley Hutchings – bass, backing vocals
Simon Nicol – electric and acoustic guitars, electric dulcimer, backing vocals
Martin Lamble – drums, stacked chair backs on “Si Tu Dois Partir”
Additional personnel:
Iain Matthews – backing vocals on "Percy’s Song
Dave Swarbrick – fiddle on “Si Tu Dois Partir”, “A Sailor’s Life”, and “Cajun Woman” and Mandolin on “Million Dollar Bash”
Trevor Lucas – triangle on “Si Tu Dois Partir”
Marc Ellington – vocals on “Million Dollar Bash”
Dave Mattacks – drums on “Ballad of Easy Rider”

Recorded at Sound Techniques and Olympic Studios, London 1969

<<>>

21 Likes

Glen Campbell, Rhinestone Cowboy. Qobuz. Uniti Atom HE.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Decided to completely change direction with a bit of the old Tubster:

3 Likes

Betty Davis - They Say I’m Different

From 1974 that 70’s production with solid gold guitar and bass riffs and that Betty Davis voice.

13 Likes

7 - Sault

2 Likes

Vladimir Horowitz - ‘Horowitz in Moscow’ (1986). In a way the late 1980s Horowitz work led up to this. An iconic recital in April 1986, a return to play in Moscow where he had not played for 60 years. A man in his eighties on his own at the piano playing to a packed hall and millions on TV. Delightful repertoire, emotionally and rapturously received by the live audience. All played with a full appreciation of the emotion and significance of the occasion and that Horowitz ‘twinkle in his eye’. Scarlatti, Mozart with a romantic feel, then classic old style Horowitz with Russian music, Rachmaninov and Scriabin. Ending with Chopin Mazurkas played with such vitality and freshness and a series of ‘lollipops’ played with all the flair of the showman together with some Horowitz embellishment. Pianism from a bygone age. Terrific!

7 Likes

Purchased this on cassette tape on my 11th birthday, a few months after Lennon’s murder. Wore it out fast-forwarding Yoko’s tracks. In retrospect her tracks are really rather good. Now have this on vinyl reissue - great SQ. I rate this album. J+Y picked some brilliant session musicians - Tony Levin’s bass playing through out is particularly classy (isn’t it always?).

14 Likes

Yes it is.

2 Likes

cover
Touring the UK with King King this month.

1 Like

Vanessa Fernandez, use me. I can’t resist when you put it like this. Joining you to give this a good spin. :wink: So far very enjoyable! Thank you.

Does this mean I used you? :innocent:

4 Likes

f*ck off! :joy:

Seriously though, did I ever mention the time I almost met Clapton on a beach in Antigua. He strolled past, Mr’s Dread pointed him out, he turned smiling at us but jumped on a jet ski off into the waves quicker than I could shout c*nt!

:heart:

3 Likes

Easy guys, why the negative vibe?

1 Like

Yes Fragile / 2003 Elektra / Germany CD / 8122737892 / Bonus track edition - America + Roundabout (Early Rough Mix)

24 Likes

Can anyone point me to a few (presume there’s more than just one!) of the best sounding editions of this album, please?
Vinyl and or CD.

This one is the 2017.

16 Likes