What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

The Velvets album was but surely the tribute album is much, much later? I’ll have to Google it - tribute albums are tricky things…
Or are you meaning the songs as songs?

A listen to VU&N is mandatory!
Followed in short order by White Light White Heat, Velvet Underground, then Loaded.

2 Likes

You might enjoy this as well…

The Monkees The Collection

19 Likes

I’ll Be Your Mirror was released in 2021, obviously it’s a tribute album and the Velvet Underground/Nico songs were originally released in 1967.

The Beatles Sargent Peppers Only Heart Club Band remastered.

29 Likes

That’s great! In my view the best official albums are Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll, Livestock and Masques. Also if you can find it Missing Period. Those BBC recordings in a way are the best of Brand X, packed with ideas and no filler! Enjoy :grinning:

Animal Collective Time Skiffs

3 Likes

You might also be able to get hold of this. Brand X and friends - ‘Peter and the Wolf’ (1975). It may be listed under Robin Lumley and Jack Lancaster.

3 Likes

Not sure, will listen some more, perhaps i was looking forward to this too much?

To start the day…

Ese & The Vooduu People - 2019 Up In Smoke

13 Likes

Warren Wolf Reincarnation / 2020 Mack Avenue / US CD / MAC1169

Having played the Christian McBride at the Village Vanguard CD featuring WW recently, I decided to start Saturday with this excellent jazz / soul release by the acclaimed vibraphonist.

4 Likes

David Gilmour - ‘Rattle That Lock’ (2015). A classy album by David Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame. The familiar guitar and voice is excellent in new and varied compositions. In Autumn 2015 I was visiting London for the day for my work and saw that Dave Gilmour was on at the Royal Albert Hall. I thought I may only get this opportunity once so I called in at the Box Office at teatime to ask if there were any tickets for that evening. Well I managed to get one in the choir seats above the back of the stage. Fantastic show, top notch. David and his band played material from the new album and also familiar Floyd songs from the old days from WYWH, DSOTM and other greats. What a night!

27 Likes

12 Likes

Brahms Clarinet Sonatas
András Schiff and Jörg Widmann
ECM New Series

2 Likes

Lovely album from Dave Cousins - Two Weeks Last Summer - from 1972

With Miller Anderson, Jon Hiseman, Rick Wakeman and Roger Glover

6 Likes

Camel - ‘The Snow Goose’ (2013). This is the 2013 reworking and re-recording of the classic 1975 album. Not massive but tasteful changes musically and technically. I managed to get to see Camel in Salisbury in 2013 on their tour for this album. It was a great show from Andrew Latimer, Colin Bass and the band. In the first half they played the ‘Snow Goose’ and in the second half a terrific timeline of seventies favourites such as ‘Echoes’, ‘Unevensong’, ‘Air Born’ and of course ‘Lady Fantasy’ and many more, plus music from their later work such as ‘Dust and Dreams’ and ‘A Nod and a Wink’. There was a feeling of fondness from long-time fans for Andy for his and the bands longevity especially considering the health difficulties he had around that time. Terrific.

10 Likes

Those German versions are just right as far as I’m concerned, they all sound & look superb. It’s a shame all artists work can’t be remastered with such care!

1 Like

Not heard of this, will track it down, thanks. With names like Jon Hiseman and Rick Wakeman it should be good! Talking about jazz rock, I am guessing you are familiar with Colosseum ll, John Hiseman’s tight instrumental band in the mid to late seventies. Their two albums ‘Electric Savage’ (1977) and ‘Wardance’ (1978) were great. They also did a BBC ‘Sight and Sound’ concert in 1978 for BBC2/Radio 1. This was blistering. I think it can be seen on YouTube.

2 Likes

And the complete Live At The Matrix box set of course!

1 Like

Yes I have both of those - superb lineup in Colosseum II.

The Dave Cousins album is more folk rock than jazz rock but still worth a listen as it has some great songs not least the title track.

1 Like