What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Now thats very interesting @steviebee
To my knowledge Dennis Brown recorded two versions of Money… one for Niney The Observer aka Winston Holness and a later re recording for Joe Gibbs.
If memory serves Freedom Sounds was the label of producer Phillip Frasier and Im not aware of DB recording a version for him.
Could I trouble you for a close up of the label?

1 Like

Lindisfarne - Fog on the Tyne - WAV CD rip
Brilliant English folk-rock, high energy upbeat numbers and ballads work well as a set.

15 Likes

Still much in the Dire Straits groove, but John Illseley sounds pretty good.

8 Likes

Captured Spirits - Mammal Hands.

On vinyl, an excellent release on Brubeck Editions, due out next months…

11 Likes

My pleasure, Dread

I don’t think (tho I can’t say definitively) that this is a specific new recording by Dennis - I’ve always thought it was kind of a backing track for the toast/dub, which i assume was done by Youth and Youth - but again I’m not sure who Y&Y were. The clue is the ‘Adapted’ on the label. If you have any inkling, I’d love to know…

2 Likes

51YwS-RIsmL.UX250_FMwebp_QL85
Mark Knopfler - One Take Radio Sessions, live in the studio renditions of songs from the then recent Shangri-La album.

12 Likes

And up next I have….

My personal favourite of theirs - Melon went on a bit too long and the follow-up was not very well recorded imo!

5 Likes

Now playing…

Kings of Convenience - Quiet is The New Loud

Erlend Øye (Steel String Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Vocals, Piano, Drums, Percussion, String Arrangement), Eirik Glambek Bøe (Nylon String Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Piano, Drums, String Arrangements, Vocals), Ian Bracken (Cello), Ben Dumville (Trumpet), Matt McGeever (Cello), and Tarjei Strøm (Drums).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Monday afternoon with the ‘Kings of Convenience’ after a late sleep inn and then running errands this morning to start off the week. Nice to get some things accomplished first thing and the music is sounding sweet… Life is grand!

6 Likes

Jimmy Smith - ‘The Cat’ (1964). Very entertaining and catchy stuff as ever from Jimmy Smith. One track, ‘The Main Title from The Carpetbaggers’ always a makes me think of finance executives, corporate office blocks and big business. This is because it was used as the theme to ‘The Money Programme’ on Sunday evenings on BBC2 in the 1970s when I was a teenager (Brian Widlake, Valerie Singleton era). Happy days!

12 Likes

Home Service - Live 1986 - WAV CD rip
One of the finest folk-rock bands of the ‘80s caught live at Cambridge folk festival, a great set (I was there) finally released 25 years later. Powerful committed songs, beautifully sung by John Tams, great rhythm and horn sections, and fiery lead guitar from Graeme Taylor.

5 Likes

Operation: Doomsday - MF Doom

3 Likes

Now playing…

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Nick Drake (Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Vocals), Kwasi Rocky Dzidzornu (Congas, Percussion), Tristan Fry (Drums, Vibraphone, Vocals), Paul Harris Piano), Clare Lowther (Cello), Danny Thompson (Bass) and Richard Thompson Electric Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Nick’s ‘Five Leaves Left’ album and he and the band are sounding mighty fine!

27 Likes

10 Likes

The Octet Broadcasts - Alan Wakeman.

Playing the 1979 session again. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Last one for tonight - saved the best till last….

Hi-res too :cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

Now playing…

k. d. lang - hymns of the 49th parallel

k.d. lang (Vocals), Teddy Borowiecki (Accordion, Keyboards, Piano), Clayton Cameron (Drums), Larry Corbett (Cello), Brian Dembow (Viola), Stephen Erdody (Cello), Cynthia Fogg (Viola), Tiffiany Yi Hu (Violin), Armen Ksadjikian (Cello), Ben Mink (Fiddle, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar), Ralph Morrison III (Violin), Sara Parkins (Violin) David Piltch (Acoustic Bass Guitar, Acoustic Bass (Electric Bass), David Stenske (Violin) and Cecilia Tsan (Cello).

Streaming on Qobuz (192/24)… continuing on this afternoon with k.d. lang with her beautiful voice and her talented assembled group of musicians, and they are sounding sublime! One very enjoyable and fine album…

14 Likes

Now playing…

Melanie De Biasio - Lillies

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… next up as the day moves into the late afternoon hour is Melanie’s ‘Lillies’ and this album is sounding sublime! …one beautiful voice and just love her music…

7 Likes

Now playing…

The Gondwana Orchestra featuring Dwight Trible

Dwight Trible (Vocals), Matt Halsall (Trumpet), Taz Modi (Pianist), Gavin Barras (Bass), Jon Scott (Drums), and Rachel Gladwin (Harp).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… moving on into the early evening hours with ‘The Gondwana Orchestra’ featuring the fabulous vocals of ‘Dwight Triple’ and they are sounding mighty sweet! One fantastic album… much to short at four tracks and just short of 19 minutes in length.

4 Likes

Ashra - New Age of Earth
Great for cycling:)

4 Likes