What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Very nice, Bob! I must get a copy… I’ve only got a CD of it.

Art Pepper Quartet - The Art Pepper Quartet, Omivore Recordings Mono (2017)

Another Mono cut from Kevin Gray and pressed at Rainbo Records I’ve a few records pressed at Rainbo including some Blue Notes and they are all flat, quiet and sound excellent.

8 Likes

Unfortunately copies go for up to treble the £20 I paid when it came out in 2017 but you can still get a copy in the States for that price but of course shipping these days is costly.

Alternatively you can get the European version for about £35 inc p&p though it’s pressed at MPO and although the Hype sticker states it’s mastered from the original tapes it doesn’t say by who but I can’t imagine theY had two RM done more likely they sent plates of Kevin Gray’s cut to MPO.

1 Like

Thanks very much Bob. I’ll have a look around. I wouldn’t mind paying a bit more for a copy the same as yours.
Great album!

1 Like

12 Likes

:+1: thanks for heads-up

Spotted Dread’s mention of this, and I’m giving it a stream.

Not so much the music or intentions - both agreeable enough - but the sound and production of this is really jarringly bland, smooth and glossy. Like a lot of recent hip hop/trap music it feels smothered in vocal processing and makes Adele sound like Crass.

3 Likes

Nice to see you’ve found it, wish I could say the same for the Ian Carr album I’ve lost
:+1:

Not so keen then? :joy: each to there own.
As for the Adele comparison, you know I’m not going to be having that! :wink:
:heart:

The earlier OJC pressings (I have one) are quite acceptable and probably can be had inexpensively although I havent looked

Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot

I was doing some internet research on NYC jazz clubs, particularly the Half Note, then got sidetracked to the Five Spot. Then I was wondering what recordings do I have from that club… This, the first of three or four which incorporate material from this location, is a real gem.

5 Likes

That’s bang on how I feel about it - it’s more like a play, and you have to follow the story to fully enjoy it. I’d rather my mind could fully absorb the music than be distracted by a story.

Jordi Savall Jean-Baptiste Lully, Le Concert Des Nations - L’Orchestre Du Roi Soleil
Symphonies, Ouvertures & Airs À Jouer / 2003 Alia Vox / Austria Hybrid SACD / AVSA 9807

13 Likes

Jimi Hendrix. Band of gypsys.
This live album is exceptionally good. Have it on vinyl and cd but qobuzzing this morning.
Recommended to me by one of my chums. He knows who he is.:sunglasses:

24 Likes

Its my favourite Hendrix :+1:

1 Like

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
CD rip | 1970

24 Likes

Picked up from a second hand shop in Ammanford.
Nice recording, suspect will grow on me with more listens.
Singer songwriter.
I did buy some other Cds from local charity shops on spec - all returners so far…can’t win em all.

3 Likes

Sibelius: Luonnotar and Pohjola’s Daughter
New York Phil. Bernstein.

8 Likes

images

Maybe unsurprisingly, this is a significant improvement on my 2011 Premonition copy!

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue on Impex 1STEP 45RPM vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grin:

10 Likes

At last… my copy of this CD has been delivered… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes