What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

Try to listen, if you can, to Ivan Moravec playing Chopin. Very different to Mauro. but equally valid.

(You may have heard Moravec’s playing without knowing so, for it was he who played the keyboards in the “Amadeus” film, accompanied by ASMF/Marriner.)

4 Likes

The Clayton Brothers - It’s All in the Family

A most enjoyable jazz album, which being vinyl, I don’t play as often as I should.

3 Likes

Not the most ‘uplifting’ first album to play this morning but one of my favourites from Lou.
Written in memory of two friends, Doc Pomus and Rita. A reflection album as ‘Songs for Drella’ (another favourite), but this time in a more orderly and flowing fashion.

Guitarist Mike Rathke co-wrote five of the songs and shared the producer credits with Lou. His guitar leads and use of a Casio guitar synth play a huge part of Magic and Loss’s somber mood.

His lyrics must, although I’m sure hard to endure at times, resonate with anyone who has lost through cancer.

“There’s a bit of magic in everything
And then some loss to even things out”

14 Likes

Two examples of Scandinavian gas, at its best-

Jazz…

12 Likes

WTF podcast with Marc Maron, interviewing Peter Jackson about the making of Get Back.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I will look out for some recordings.
I also have a set from Harasiewicz on both vinyl and a nice set available on CD, that I really like. Do you know this set?

Thanks Geoff. Last night after I posted I read up a bit on the Nightly and the different masterings. Turned out I was (partly) right about there being an early Issue that came from analogue - a tape in fact (Copy for Cassette production). Look for an early Target CD with an 02 matrix number. The later 03 matrix corrected the mistake. It also went into detail about the incident with Stevie Wonder, who supposedly had a very rare PCM Digital Beta tape copy made straight off the 3M analogue out into a Sony PCM-F1 recorder. He got one of the early CDs taken from the tape and felt it sounded much poorer than the digital tape he had. That led to investigation and found that the WB execs had just used whatever they had lying around (the tape) without thinking about how to get the best quality result. Interesting to note that with this very early digital recording there was no way to make a decent straight digital transfer as the non linearities from the early ADC were compensated for in the DAC, so it had to be converted to analogue first.

Do you have the DVD-A or the Nightly Trilogy set with the Hi-res DVD-As of The Nightfly, Kamakiriad, and Morph The Cat? There’s no “bad” Nightfly (except perhaps the one from analogue tape?) but the DVD-A mastering was rather good.

6 Likes

No, I don’t, but I don’t need any more excuses to buy more vinyl at this stage. I’ve bought a whole pile of stuff recently in expectation of a new Dynavector TKR being fitted to my LP12, and I need to stop before it gets (even more) out of hand.

Discipline is the key and/or other priorities. Seriously the set from Harasiewicz is excellent.

It’s almost unbelievable how sloppy these record companies are. Apparently the master tapes for Aja by Steely Dan were used in the programme where Becker/Fagan explained how they made the album……the tapes were never seen again. Somebody recently posted a video of Mark Knopfler walking around his Grove Studios in London, and mentioned that Rick Wright had recently (an old video) re-recorded the piano parts for Wish you were here………they had been lost apparently😬

2 Likes

Thanks Gaz. I’d heard that the master tapes for Aja had disappeared. What a disaster, unless they one day turn up in someone’s sock drawer or garage, hopefully not ruined beyond salvation. Maybe I need to find another early AB1006 LP just in case…

2 Likes

Thank you for this Richard, I recall the whole 02 v 03 matrix issue now you remind me of it !

My Target is

Matrix Runout Variant 3 / M2 E15 / GEMA Rights Society / 9236962

Which is probably why it sounds fine!

I don’t have the DVD-A or the Trilogy Set despite having the opportunity to buy it on several occasions, as I know the DVD-A mastering is very well regarded. My reluctance has been due to the fact that I own both Kamakiriad and Morph The Cat on excellent sounding Japanese Promo CD’s, (as posted above) and with The Nightfly on SHM CD I don’t feel the need… but I could change my mind!

1 Like

You’re not a lady with high heels, stockings and a whip, are you?

No, but seriously, I do sometimes get rather ‘completist’ about things, and have, for example, just about every recording made by (amongst others) Tim and Jeff Buckley, The Doors, The Beatles, almost everything worth having by The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, etc, etc.

So I don’t need much encouragement to buy new sources of music.

But I think that this probably applies to at least half of the Members here!

1 Like

It’s all too easy to fall down the rabbit hole with these things. It happened to me with Steely Dan vinyl and CDs and got a bit mad but I learned a lot along the way. And here I am now wondering what the rare and elusive 02 “analogue” Nightly Target CD actually sounds like. Help me…

4 Likes

Chick Corea Trio Trilogy / 2014 Concord / US CD x 3 / CJA3568502

Chick Corea Piano
Christian McBride Bass
Brian Blade Drums

Brilliant music and recording to brighten up a dull weather day.

12 Likes

I would post a picture of myself but you will probably be very disappointed :slight_smile:
I went through a long period of no upgrades and no service/repairs until end of last year. Thankfully that is all completed including my chrome bumper amps for my holiday home system.
I also spent quite a while not buying music so that I could listen to the vast amounts I bought in early 2004-2008.
So back to buying more music and probably a cartridge update and LP12 service sometime this year.
It’s all too easy to forget the important things when wanting more and more from the HiFi.

Dug out an old record from Mary Margaret O’Hara, took 3 goes in the Huminguru and now sounds fantastic,

Tidal stream of Cluster/Eno as heard it’s being rereleased but can’t find I any mention of it. Played this 3 times in the last 2 days as sounds amazing.

6 Likes

Beatles, For Sale. One of my favourite albums by The Beatles. Qobuz. Uniti Nova.

22 Likes

Jeter Jones - Dhis Him

3 Likes