What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Started (and so I will finish) the new album Travel by veteran improvisational Australian band The Necks. Part way through the contemplative opening track and very much enjoying the experience. This could be a grower.

David Sanborn Voyeur / 2014 Warner / EU version of Japan CD / 8122795677

David Sanborn Alto Saxophone
Buzzy Feiten, Hiram Bullock Guitar
Lenny Castro, Ralph MacDonald Percussion
Michael Colina Synthesizer
Marcus Miller Bass
Steve Gadd, Buddy Williams Drums

6 Likes

Elton John - Jewel Box: Deep Cuts

6 Likes

The best concert I went to last year was Rymden as part of the London Jazz Festival. This is released this year and is a reworking of some of their tunes with an orchestra in tow. Sounding wonderful

4 Likes

I’m glad you posted that, I meant to check it from an earlier conversation and forgot the artist, cant find it on Qobuz though

Prompted by conversation on the what releases your looking forward to thread

Ernest Ranglin - Below The Bassline (Island Jamaica Jazz LP 1996)

JA guitarist Ernie Ranglin’s superb album fusing classic Ska, Roots & Dub in a Jamaican Jazz setting aided and abetted by Monty Alexander, Ira Coleman, Idris Muhammad, Gary Mahone and on Ball Of Fire the great Roland Alphonso

:heart:

5 Likes

Till Brönner Blue Eyed Soul / 2002 Verve / Germany CD / 0168792

4 Likes

Pink Floyd

A Foot in the Door: The Best Of Pink Floyd (2011 - Remaster) 24/96

Edward

15 Likes

4 Likes

Roland Alphonso - Plays Ska…Strictly For You (Studio One LP)

4 Likes

12 Likes

The National Academic Choir of Ukraine “Dumka”, Tchaikovsky: Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Remember one year since the start of the war and all the lives lost, homes destroyed and refugees.

9 Likes

You prompted this - on CD - sorry, Dread!

51O3Z3qc4dL.AC

6 Likes

No apologies necessary, thats a great set and overview of The Ska-Talites recordings at Studio One.
The Heartbeat label who released the 2CD set (its also latterly been issued on vinyl since the resurgence in the format) is a fine label that sourced a lot of great vintage JA music, especially from Studio One officially licenced and more often than not from master tape.
In the case of JA music good quality well mastered CD’s or stream are often the better choice, avoiding the minefield of notoriously bad Jamaican vinyl pressings.

I can recommend this one too, nice compilation of Ska with the Skatalites recorded at Studio One’s main rival Treasure Isle studio

Ska After Ska After Ska ( Heartbeat CD)

Enjoy

5 Likes

Some Flaming Lips this morning with " Oczy Mlody " Excellent !

6 Likes

The one without Christine McVie

Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will

7 Likes

1st track is great ! …

2 Likes

Listened to this earlier. Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy. Steely Dan have been a big favourite of mine since my teenage years when I first heard Haitian Divorce on the radio.

18 Likes

Just finished listening to this on vinyl, encouraged by quite a few posts relating to Yes albums in recent months. Yes - Going For The One. I bought this in my teenage years, when I was exploring lots of different types of music. This must be my first listen to it in decades and I’d forgotten a lot of the tracks. To my slight surprise I really enjoyed it.

20 Likes

Awaken is one of my favourite tracks and Parallels is a good run out for the bass driver.

1 Like