What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

I am so pleased that they released this. Thought I’d start my day with it.
Thanks to @Gazza and @carruthersesq for posting as it was you guys who brought it to my attention.

10 Likes

SERGEI RACHMANINOFF

Yannick Nézet-Séguin
The Philadelphia Orchestra

Symphonies Nos. 2&3
Isle Of The Dead

As with the first instalment of Nézet-Séguin’s symphonic Rachmaninov (the First Symphony and the Symphonic Dances – 2/21), there’s a very real sense here of this music coming home, of a sound, a style, an ethos, in playing it that somehow – subliminally – gets passed down through the generations. Rachmaninov in exile recognised the kindred spirit of that sound – the Philadelphia sound – as the perfect fit for his music and, of course, Nézet-Séguin must take credit for unlocking it once more and recognising (as did his predecessor Eugene Ormandy) that the very particularly energy of this music – not least its deep and abiding melancholy – emanates from the saturating depth and darkness of expression in the string sound.

6 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls - 1978 - Virgin CDV 2734

Thought I’d play some Stones seeing as it’s Sir Micks 80th this week.

22 Likes

First run, so far good impressions…

7 Likes

Evanescence - Anywhere But Home

Live, just as they’re meant to be heard.

6 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You - 1981 - Virgin CDV 2732

Edit: Really enjoying this album. I rate it highly amongst their catalogue imo. This version is a great mastering to.

19 Likes

Elton’s Blue Moves album on first press vinyl. One of the first LPs I ever bought and it’s still in great condition and sounds magnificent. I do think producer, Gus Dudgeon, got the best out of Elton.

11 Likes

Love Elton and have most of his earlier albums.
Must admit I don’t have this one or know much about it.

s-l500
The Beatles - Revolver Deluxe edition, probably my favourite remix of the series so far. I think the placement of the different elements in the stereo image is what I enjoy most.

20 Likes

I have The White Album queued up next!
CD :cd: that is.

4 Likes

It’s well worth seeking out. After this double LP he stopped working with Bernie Taupin and Gus Dudgeon for a short while and I feel his albums suffered as a result. On this album he dispensed with the services of Dee Murray (bass) and Nigel Olsson (drums) and recruited a new band, although he later worked with Dee and Nigel again.

3 Likes

Cheers @Neil-26 , I’ll check it out.

Remix or original?

I believe it’s a remix, it has the Apple logo on the cover. Digital remaster 2009 :grin:
Is this series when Apple bought the rights? (Did they ever buy the rights???)

1 Like

1st run

3 Likes

Blue Moves is definitely an album that has improved with age and compared with EJ’s whole catalogue is not too shabby. I now enjoy the change in sound the new band brought also.

4 Likes

You’ve hit the spot there Alan, as when I first bought the LP, it wasn’t a big favourite, but it has improved with age.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s the original mix. Apple is The Beatles company and has always owned the rights to this album along with EMI at the time of release :+1:

2 Likes

Yes Neil, it’s certainly better than Rock Of The Westies :grinning:

Understood @AlanP , thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like