What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Couldn’t agree more. It’s had a few plays this summer. Mesmerizing watching Karn on those TOTP replays and on tour at the time.

1 Like

5 Likes

Musicology Release Party, Prince, released 2019.

This recording live at Webster Hall on April 20th, 2004 is the best definition of a party I can think of. Full of classics and innovation too.

8 Likes

Reading these two books and listening to the Beach Boys back cat in more or less sequential order: I’m up to Today/Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!).

The David Leaf book is an expanded & updated version of an earlier edition which I read decades ago. Not quite Mark Lewisohn, that’s near impossible perhaps, but a pretty good history albeit heavily skewed in Brian’s favour.

The Andrew Hickey is great too, and gives Mike and the others much more credit than is often the case.

7 Likes

Hugh Cherry: I need your help. When John comes out here, he will say-- and which will be recorded-- “Hi there. I’m Johnny Cash.” When he says that, then you respond. Don’t respond to him walking out. Welcome him after he says, “Johnny Cash.” I’ll have my hands up, and you just follow me.

Johnny Cash: Hello, I’m Johnny Cash.

Crowd: Goes nuts.

18 Likes

My Mum had this bought for her and as a young and impressionable cool teen I thought huh. How wrong I was. Loved it from the off and still one of my favourites.

2 Likes

‘Blue Sky Mining’ - Midnight Oil

Pulled out this gem from the vinyl box set.

10 Likes

Playing this the first time as I downloaded it yesterday as part of the action of eclassical of 33% discount on all BIS albums….

4 Likes

One of the best recordings, in terms of sound quality, I’ve ever heard.

This is a masterful performance with bags of speed, energy, dynamism, brilliant interplay, and really tight, disciplined, tuned-in improvisation.

This track is especially groovy and fun.

The audience reaction is tremendous - they knew this was one special gig.

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with Whitney

2 Likes

Will give this a listen this weekend, have a couple of her albums and more in the admire than enjoy, dont know why but maybe this can be the breakthrough.

Rain Tree Crow - 1991

I’m starting to think this is a bit special from Japan mk II :grinning:

17 Likes

Found this in my collection - not sure if I’ve even played it - and it’s in mono!

6 Likes

51SX8vxoX9L.AC
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues.

25 Likes

Having watched Oppenheimer this arvo has to be Mushroom off of Tago Mago. Still as astounding as it was when I first heard it in 1971 aged 15 - Mate’s elder bro was on the hippie trail ‘do not touch my records’ … Yeah right. Literally couldn’t believe my ears.

10 Likes

This could be in another thread…….could gave been more successful……but Ginger never held on to much for very long. The singer seems to “just” sing the words?

4 Likes

Found this as well ….

Another 80’s classic?

Howard Jones - Human’s Lib

14 Likes

Nah - that wasn’t doing anything for me tonight so swapped to another 80’s classic?

Much better - don’t think I’ve heard this album sound so good - Collins’ drums so good and god has this system got some wallop!
And detail!
And groove!

16 Likes

Far too long since I last listened to this self-titled Robbie Robertson LP.

24 Likes

51tLouTDS8L.AC_SX466
George Harrison - Early Takes Volume 1.

12 Likes