What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Marvin Gaye, what’s going on. :smiling_face:

25 Likes

Musa Mboob - Chossan.

3 Likes

Watkins Family Hour – Brother Sister
CD rip|2020

Folk. Staying with the Ws on the DAP.

4 Likes

As you may know, Karajan made many different complete recordings of Beethoven’s nine symphonies.

An early set for Walter Legge/EMI in the 1950s with the Philharmonia.

The famous 1963 Berlin Philharmonic set for DGG, after he had been chief conductor of that orchestra for a couple of years, following the death of Wilhelm Furtwængler.

A 1977 set for DGG, again with the Berliners, originally presented in a cream leather bound and finished, numbered limited edition.

A 1983 digitally recorded set, which was (if memory serves) the first digital recording of the Beethoven symphonies.

There was one later set on Laserdisc for a Japanese label (SONY, perhaps?).

The first DGG set (from DGG in 1963) is probably the best of the lot, with superlative playing from the Berlin Philharmonic, and with Karajan not allowed to meddle with the engineering.

2 Likes

More solo CAN. Irmin this time:

5 Likes

I bought that on vinyl a few days ago, and played it again earlier yesterday afternoon. A fugging masterpiece.

1 Like

Marillion | Misplaced Childhood | 24-96 flac remastered in 2017

I’ve been listening to that 1985 progressive rock album for the last 38 years. And each time i do, i tell myself how much of a “chef d’œuvre “ it is. Best Marillion album to me. It was done for vinyl listening, and the first time i had it on a cd i was so disappointed, they had to cut each part of the song for the need of tracks. When it came out in hires flac it was at last rendered as intended, one long uncut masterpiece.

16 Likes

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien - CD Deluxe Edition.

Having had a really bad nights sleep, getting Joe to really kick the day off.

11 Likes

Neville Marriner with Academy of St Martin in the Fields - Vaughan Williams

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend :smiling_face:

16 Likes

Loving this. Thanks Pat. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Matthew Halsall - An Ever Changing View.

I normally try to take a pic with it on the TT but got carried away listening so one with it safely snuggled back into the sleeve will have to do!

Rather enjoyable. If that isn’t damning with faint praise!?

11 Likes

On CD:-

Dire Straits - Dire Straits

32 Likes

Azimuth - Self titled debut album. Brazilian psych-samba. Forgot I had this.

3 Likes

Agree, it’s enjoyable, but not his best. Which is a shame, as I’m seeing him live in the near future.

1 Like

From the Mosaic box.

7 Likes

Beck Bogart Appice -Live

Just released this 4 CD set of a concert in Osaka and London .

The Osaka concert has previously been released but the London concert is of interest as it includes a number of songs scheduled for their second unreleased studio album.

The rub is it’s £21.89 on Qobuz but those nice people on Juno Download are doing it in FLAC for £12.99

13 Likes

Jarrod Lawson Be The Change / 2020 Dome / US CD / DOMECD349

Starting Friday with this excellent soul / jazz recording.

4 Likes

Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Himself

With a little help from Wilbur Ware on bass and an up and coming tenor saxophonist, John Coltrane.

11 Likes

Arlet - self titled debut album. Progressive folk from the Canterbury six piece. Actually keep it in a plastic sleeve, because the Hessian bag scratches the CD. Another chance discovery tucked away in the CD pile.

3 Likes

Santana - self titled debut album.

45rpm bliss.

17 Likes