What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

@igahman I’d never heard of Kevin Coyne/Marjory Razorblade before but thought I’d give this a try after your recommendation. I’m enjoying it so far after the initial shock of the first track, cheers.

5 Likes

Silverchair A band that’s probably sums up rock and roll- go hard go fast and burn out. They don’t get a lot of mention here but I’ve always like their last album Young Modern featuring imo the best track Straight Lines.

3 Likes

Patty Smyth, greatest hits featuring scandal. A different Patty. It’s a scandal. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Joe Walsh, but seriously, folks… :smiling_face:

18 Likes

Ian Moss Rivers Run Dry

2 Likes

Molly Tuttle City of Gold.

6 Likes

I recently came across a new jazz/blues fusion 26 year old Sicilian guitarist wunderkind called Matteo Mancuso and thought it worth sharing here.

He’s pretty incredible- check him out with his debut album - The Journey - if you are a guitar fan.

He adds to the list of young up and coming blues guitarists who will carry the torch forward when the “old guys” pass. Christone Kingfish Ingram/Toby Lee/Joanne Shaw Taylor etc……

He’s getting amazing reviews - see below from Steve Vai and Al Di Meola…….

7 Likes

P.P. Arnold - The Turning Tide

Recorded in the late 60’s early 70’s but remained unreleased until Steve Craddock of Ocean Colour Scene put matters right and released it on his label in 2017.

Featuring Eric Clapton with the dominoes and Elton John’s early 70’s band.

10 Likes

That’s wonderful, although very quirky, record. I have an ancient LP with a very prominent click/scratch on one side. Is the record still available to buy new?

Yes Pete, many give up on hearing the first track which is a shame because the album has much to offer.

1 Like

Mrs Pete wasn’t overly impressed

1 Like

I was hoping it might get the 50th anniversary treatment but not noticed anything so far.

We’ll finally found the time to listen to this! I liked it but not enough to purchase a vinyl copy. Further listens may change that though!
Cheers, Ian

1 Like

Good lord! Can it really be 50 years old? It’s funny how things like that can catch you out.

I think that it was one of the very first releases on what was then the ‘new’ Virgin label. If Virgin can re-release ‘Tubular Bells’ to mark its anniversary, they should do the decent thing with ‘Marjory Razor Blade’!

1 Like

Pump it up. :grin:

1 Like

I have it on vinyl from 2013 as “One More Night” and it is a pretty decent recording. As you say, way better than many

1 Like

I’m onto disc two this morning, currently enjoying the 23 minute version of Whole Lotta Love. I’ve never like that song per se, but the rock ‘n roll medley when they play it live is always a highlight for me. I’ve always hoped that Page and Plant would perform as an acoustic blues and rock ‘n roll duo.

Julia Fordham - Concrete Love

I wasn’t too keen on this album when I first heard it owing to the use of artificial drums, but it grew on me and I now count it among her best. It includes some fine songs, but Foolish Thing is truly gorgeous.

5 Likes

Grateful Dead. American beauty.
Certainly a box of rain here in Northumbriashireland.

Cd rip

17 Likes

On vinyl from the mono box set:-

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

21 Likes