What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Now Playing…

The Pretenders

Chrissie Hynde (Vocals, Electric Guitar, Percussion), Carwyn Ellis (Acoustic Guitar, Organ, Mellotron, Synthesizer, Electric Guitar), Chris Hill (Upright Bass), Dave Page (Bass), Kris Sonne (Drums, Tambourine, Vocals, Percussion), James Walbourne (Vocals, Electric Guitar, Mellotron, Bass, Piano; Organ, Percussion, Acoustic Guitar, EBow Guitar, Rhodes Piano, Synthesize), David Wrench (Percussion, Vocals, Moog Synthesizer), Jonny Greenwood (String Arrangement) and 12 Ensemble (Strings).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on this morning with the latest album, September 14th, from the Pretenders and the Chrissie Hyde at 71 years old is sounding mighty sweet! Enjoying the music…

8 Likes

I spot a couple of buildings in the silhouette of London that weren’t built when Frampton looked like that!

1 Like

15 Likes

Exactly :man_shrugging:

Bastards, my favourite of the three CDs in this fabulous album from Tom Waits. Slightly bonkers, but none the worse for that.

11 Likes

2018 - Merrie Land // The Good, The Bad & The Queen

9 Likes

I was a latecomer to Nick Cave, my gateway being Push The Sky Away, Live At KCRX (?) and the Grinderman albums. Ghosteen though I cant listen too, such an outpouring of grief on record is just too much to bare, I bought it but think Ive only tried to listen to it twice
Maybe I’m a cynic but I also wonder/question making a record as an expression of grief whilst making it commercially available and capitalising on it :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Although I understand what you’re saying, I do find the music beautiful to listen to and in a strange way, despite the dark themes, I find his recent albums quite uplifting.

3 Likes

Can’t help you with that, its not the best it could have been.

1 Like

Yep, Fly By Night on at last. What a band!

13 Likes

While since I’ve played this (reunion album). It’s a belter. Saw them at the Band On The Wall. My wife wasn’t impressed. I think this is quite catchy tbf. Have the vinyl but taking the easy way out with Qobuz. Sounds good.

7 Likes

Paul McCartney - Give My Regards To Broad Street, this album doesn’t have a lot going for it, but worth playing for the decent “No More Lonely Nights”, featuring Dave Gilmour on lead guitar.

12 Likes
9 Likes

Tidalising the new Nils Petter Molvaer in readiness for seeing him at Ronnie Scott’s in early October. Intriguing as ever - not sure it’s up with his best.

Last saw him at Brecon Jazz Fest many moons ago. He was with an artist buddy who created the visuals as he played - real Scandi dark night of the soul stuff. Lady BC fell asleep partly from a surfeit of lunchtime Chardonnay!

3 Likes

One of my favourite Metheny’s, from 1984.

13 Likes

Now that I come to think of it this is up there with the very best hits albums.

.sjb

13 Likes

David Bowie - Five Years - Aladdin Sane - CD Box Set

31 Likes

Diane Krall, quiet nights. :smiling_face:

19 Likes

No I haven’t tried them, though I would love too as I have read good reports about them. The problem is, I don’t think I can justify the extra expense. I agree with your sentiments about DV and I doubt if i will use anything else too. But you never know maybe one day i will justify it and take a step up on the DV ladder!

1 Like

7 Likes