What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Jackson Browne

Running on Empty

Edward

21 Likes

Next up - Miles Davis ‘On The Corner’ CD box set.

16 Likes

Giving this a spin and enjoying it so far.
Might have to check out their earlier works too :smile:

1 Like

A gentle melodic start from The National… waiting for the coffee to jump start the day.

8 Likes

Free/Bad Company fans. Listen up.

New album from Paul Rodgers released today - his first of original music for nearly 25 years.

Only 8 tracks and a total of 32 minutes but it’s brilliant.

He’s still got it. What a voice!

Waiting for the vinyl edition to arrive but couldn’t resist a cheeky Tidal listen🤣

12 Likes

CD - Wagram Records 2002 : )

Saint-Germain-des-Prés Café II

the finest electro-jazz compilation

1. Saint-Germain-Des-Pres - Pink Satellite
  2. Possoz Boogie - Klement Julienne
  3. The Snare - Zero DB
  4. Too Deep - The Duncan
  5. The Essence - Herbie Hancock
  6. Game - Beady Belle
  7. D’Jazz Tribute - David Grumel
  8. Summer Sun (Original Version) - Koop
  9. Hit The Road Jack (Pe Na Estrada) - Mo’Horizons
  10. Beads, Things & Flowers (Instrumental Version) - Humble Souls
  11. Mr. Dope - Kenny Dope
  12. Good Life - Kaori
  13. Move On Up (Buzz Opaque Remix) - Mark De Clive-Lowe
  14. Heavy Piano - Duran Y Garcia
  15. 5 Alive - Kevin Yost
  16. The Strangest Feeling - Gorodisch
  17. Change - Bugge Wesseltoft
  18. Private Sunshine (Big Lounge Album Mix) - Ashley Slater’s

<< :coffee: >>

15 Likes

The Who - Who’s Next

For @Dreadatthecontrols I’ve been comparing three of the five versions of this masterpiece. It’s the first time I’ve been able to play the Abbey Road Half-Speed Master at reasonable volume. The second version shown here is the triple vinyl version including the NY Record Plant sessions and a concert recording from the Young Vic. The irritating thing about this one is that some bright spark thought it a good idea to squeeze Baby Don’t You Do It after Won’t Get Fooled Again and end side one with Getting In Tune. This is like messing with the Magna Carta to a Who fan!

The Abbey Road mastered version is clearer overall, but there are occasions when Roger’s voice seems a little recessed, lacking the sparkle, but that’s not the biggest issue. The real problem with this version lies in the lower octaves which are totally congested, making it rather difficult to hear John’s bass through the mush.

I compared this with the triple set and it seems the bass problem is common across both.

However, the best version I have is the CD. This is the 16 track version I’m comparing. Of course this could be pointing to a problem with my turntable or perhaps some room issues which are excited by the bass on the record.

20 Likes

Looking forward to the weekend after a couple of full on weeks, starting the wind down with Manu Delago’s Circadian.

Very relaxing delicate music.

4 Likes

Jackson Browne

For Everyman

Edward

15 Likes

Manchester? If so I used to go there a lot back in the day.

Enjoying on CD - Just so delicate and soothing and Simon Rattle conducting it doesn’t get much better if you like Mahler

8 Likes

On CD. Always a joy to listen to Bennie.

4 Likes

Paul Rodgers

Midnight Rose

Edward

9 Likes

ted_p yes just got this on second hand vinyl

It’s really good

1 Like

Great shout, @Toon,

Tidalising it right now … … … he sounds in great form so far. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Clive
Interesting feedback. So on its own merit without comparison do you think the AR is a worthy purchase? I already have the AR Tommy and Sell Out, not sure If you noticed theres been discussion on the AR’s yesterday over on the vinyl thread hence my interest to hear from you.

I have the 16 track CD and I just remembered I have The Studio Albums LP box set but cant get to it at the moment.

As for John Entwistles Bass, I dont think he has always been captured well on studio recordings. I have a DVD, cant remember which off hand, its on the extras of maybe Kids Are Alright or The Story Of The Who where to illustrate John’s playing they isolate his playing on, its either Wont Get Fooled Again or Baba O’reilly, and its quite amazing how much you dont hear what he’s doing when buried in the mix along with all the cacophony going on behind him.
Cheers
:+1:

Correct. Nice venue.

1 Like

I just realised your 20x2 is only one step down in the DV range and I havent heard one, Although I have heard an XX2-2 but still stayed with the 17D3 which has really advanced a lot since the earlier 17DII 17D2 II, so much so that the 17D3 and XX2-2 are almost the same price.
I auditioned several phono stages including DV’s own, I almost bought the Cyrus but ended up spending more than intended on a Superline/HCDR but no regret it really brings out the best in the DV with a superb level of refinement.
Interestingly I did a shoot out with the similarly priced Linn Krystal which by comparison sounded like drawing fingernails down a blackboard!
Anyway, if you did decide to try a step up, as you probably know John at Pear Audio is a really nice helpful guy, I use Audio T in conjunction with Pear and DV do have a very good trade in/up allowance on their older carts.

Sorry, just realised my enthusiasm is making me sound like a salesman! :joy:

2 Likes

Superb compilation, I have the vinyl set which is nicely done

11 Likes