What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

2CD definitive issue of this live recording from the Ron Mathewson archive.

4 Likes

Oh the temptation, though I’m considering a phono staged as I’m just using the internal one at present. Maybe better to do that first? I live in Northern Ireland and relay on Lyric HiFi for all my hifi needs, luckily they are a knowledgeable Linn, Naim and DV dealer who are fantastic to deal with and only 12 miles away.

I do like the DV exchange allowance, it’s a nice gesture. I had to use it about 18 months ago. My 20X2 was about 6 months old at the time and I was so pleased with it, when it was decided to host my grandsons 4th birthday party at our place.

Naturally I implemented security measures for my HiFi, that I thought was appropriate. It was only a small party with only a few close friends and 3 or 4 kids.

Unfortunately the oldest one, a 9 year old girl, is a devil child in disguise. The party was outside on the patio and garden when she quietly wondered around the house and into the music room where she decided she wanted to listen to my LP12! Being a devil child she quickly breached the security and trashed my cartridge!

Micheal at Lyric confirmed that yes it was trashed, so I was grateful that DV offer the exchange offer. Security has subsequently been improved with a lock fitted to the door!

3 Likes

The Drifters.
Seems appropriate

12 Likes

I’ve been there too Martin, a young nephew who we used to look after was fascinated with my LP12 and used to love watching it play a record. Foolishly I left the lid off and in his curiosity he poked a finger at the stylus of the Linn Klyde I used at the time bending the cantilever.
Certainly worth considering a Phono stage, I’m sure your dealer can help you, I auditioned at home stages from DV, Rega, a guy in Wales who hand builds phono stages and amps but I forget the brand (edit: Tom Evans Groove 20th MkII), Cyrus and as I said eventually extending my budget to the Superline/HCDR. Oh I forgot, prior to this I was using a Naim Prefix which I still have, needs fitting internally to the LP12 and a power supply.
Dynavectors own P75 phono stage is reasonably good value if a little fiddly and unuser friendly to set up. It also has a unique “PE Mode” which works differently to conventional loading, I listened to it with a conventional load and then PE which sounded best, really good but there was a downside in that in my system it generated a lot of hiss in PE Mode.
The Cyrus with its optional PSX-R2 power supply was brilliantly excellent, easy to use and set up, loading and capacitance etc can be adjusted/experimented with on the fly whilst listening to a record which is really useful for fine tuning. I came very close to buying it but in the end, although costing a lot more, the ease, refinement and pure musicality of the Naim perhaps predictably won me over.

Unfortunately I dont think the forum allows, I would be happy to let you have my Prefix for a very good price (cheap), I had it converted to “S type” for DV if you wanted to try it.

I’m forgetting Naims Stageline which might be a more pocket friendly option, about £500 I think. I didnt audition one as I think its pretty much similar to a prefix but in an offboard casing. Like Superline it needs psu or power from a suitable Naim pre amp

All food for thought, given the level of cart you have, I reckon a phono stage at least at the level of a Stageline would bring benefits.

2 Likes

Yes, there are some great musicians on show. For instance, a couple of tracks feature a band comprising Paul, Ringo, Dave Edmunds and Chris Spedding, that could have been something special. However it’s the material that’s lacking in substance and some of the reworked songs are truly dreadful. Do give it a listen though, as with all Macca stuff, there is always something worthwhile.

1 Like

The Beatles - Anthology 2, playing the first disc, which runs from the Help! period through to Revolver.

16 Likes

David Sanborn Hideaway / 2014 Warner / EU version of Japan CD / 8122795678

4 Likes

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Live, first play of this recent release and its a far more cohesive listen than the live album recorded during the later Tusk tour imo.

19 Likes

Thank you very much for the offer, I will definitely consider it. Though it will not be for a while yet, I will let you know. My immediate thoughts are the same with regards to musicality etc so I will be targeting Naim and Linn phono stages.

I mentioned it to Micheal at Lyric recently and he says that a decent one will definitely bring benefits. Among others he mentioned a used Linn Linto would be a good match.

1 Like

Some nice gentle relaxing tunes before the rugby starts for the rest of the day!!
This remastered CD sounds pretty damned good!

24 Likes

What a fantastic album that is! ‘Cherry Red’ is unlike anything else that they ever did.

1 Like

Wonderfully atmospheric post rock from one of Spain’s finest bands

3 Likes

Paul McCartney & Wings - Back To The Egg - CD

Not one of his better albums.

14 Likes

On CD:-

Low - The Great Destroyer

6 Likes

It could have been stronger with the inclusion of the “Goodnight Tonight”/“Daytime Nighttime Suffering” single.

2 Likes

Steve Miller Band - Live! Breaking Ground August 3, 1977, i have just noticed that this concert took place 26 days prior to the Fleetwood Mac live album I have just played.

8 Likes

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! - CD

19 Likes

1 Like

I’m really enjoying this, Charlie Watts, Anthology…

11 Likes

Pretty much without doubt especially if you are currently using the Naim internal phono boards. You will then reveal more of the musicality your cartridge is capable of.
Nice chatting, have fun!
:heart:

1 Like