What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Random choice from the Qobuz new release section. Barry Can’t Swim - When Will We Land. Jazz-house is the most common tag. Nice electronica with a higher tempo. Enjoying it.

2 Likes

The Don.

16 Likes

I’m enjoying this new one from Get The Blessing called Pallett.

2 Likes

Relentless/PSB (2023 remaster).

7 Likes

Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage / 1999 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 724349533127

Herbie Hancock Piano
Freddie Hubbard Trumpet
George Coleman Tenor saxophone
Ron Carter Bass
Anthony Williams Drums

17 Likes

Our weather is out of sync too - while you mentioned your hot afternoon in the UK many parts are suffering with high winds and heavy rain!

On CD:-

Haim - Days Are Gone

7 Likes

On the release of the new album, something of a Stonesfest tonight on Beeb 4.

fe3b848d-970d-5b4e-bc36-388b69ecc5ef.jpg

21.00 : Some Girls - Live in Texas 1978.

caf7be41-80ed-5498-8f05-a60a94ed7f8b.jpg

22.25 : Mick Jagger.

a5b05a36-90b9-5122-8d6a-6549500eead6.jpg

23.25 : Keef.

031e92f6-3bac-5c1a-971c-ed3314dea1b5.jpg

00.25 : Ronnie.

0e984573-3ddd-5e74-b7bf-78d29fc5a556.jpg

01.25 : Charlie.

Some old geezers chat about their time in some band or other?

13 Likes

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

Vinyl. Total feelgood.

13 Likes

I’m now enjoying this very much. A recommendation in Jazzwise this month. Brazilian infused with modern flourishes. Very good.

2 Likes

Greetings Charles, I didnt recognise at first, you changed avatar.

Glad to hear it sold well, it is a genuinely legendary recording.

This is also good, also re issued by Soul Jazz

Cedric Im Brooks- Light Of Saba
Was issued by Honest Johns but currently out of print (Discogs or maybe still available to stream)

Almost anything by Ras Michael with Sons Of Negus and his debut under the alias Dadawh (also currently oop but probably can be had for reasonable money on Discogs)

The above has been further re issued by Greensleeves in expanded form on CD/Digital and well worth checking even if you have the original vinyl or CD issue.

:heart:

3 Likes

Mike Melvoin with Charlie Haden, featuring Bill Henderson
The Capitol Sessions / 2000 naim / Austria CD / naimcd025

3 Likes

Oh! And the beautiful Wingless Angels (Island Jamaica/Mindless HDCD)

Recorded live in Ocho Rios in 1995 with some old geezer called Keef guesting on acoustic guitar

2 Likes

Rolling Stones - Hackney Diamonds
Zoetrope vinyl

10 Likes

Mrs Dread just told me that Brinsley Forde turned 70 a few days ago on the 16th.
So a belated Happy Earthday Brinsley and celebrating with a blast of my favourite Aswad LP from 1981

Showcase (Island/Grove Muzic)

Brinsley toasting over Warrior Charge with the late great mighty Jah Shaka Sound from the essential film Babylon…Lion!

Some members might remember Saturday morning picture shows and kids TV…

Big up Brinsley

3 Likes

Gap between meetings, so indulging in a bit of Seal.

15 Likes

Mozart by The OrpheusChamber Orchestra.

I would play the CD, but my PS One is sick (skipping) and the company I’ve ordered the new mech from say it’s got lost in the postal service.
Another 2-6 week wait or a refund…:man_shrugging:t2:
Seriously considering a new CD/T at the moment🫣

5 Likes

I was/am a late comer to Nick Cave, my entree being Push The Sky Away and as you say the brilliant Live at KCRW along with the first Grinderman albums. Ghosteen though I cant bare to hear, I only played it once or twice

1 Like

Level 42 The Pursuit Of Accidents / 2015 Polydor / Netherlands CD / 5363747

From the 5 Classic Albums Box Set, this brings back a few memories, particularly of when my music buddy got us backstage to meet the band at a couple of gigs. I do need to omit the last track here though, as it was never a favourite!

13 Likes

I think Ghosteen, Idiot Player and Skeleton Tree are albums best listened to late at night when you’re in a more reflective mood.
Have to a listen to some of his very early stuff like The Birthday Party’s Junkyard or Tender Prey with The Bad Seeds. I think they’ll be more to your liking, Oliver. :sunglasses:

3 Likes