What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Back from a boozer in the wilds of Hampshire so time for a spot more Carla, this time from the noughties including the splendid Banana Quintet tribute to the Banana Splits. Saw this band in Cheltenham at the same time - great musicianship with trademark dry humour. CD rip via HiRes player.

4 Likes

Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer, not dark yet. :smiling_face:

10 Likes

Thanks Dread brought a huge smile scrolling down on my tablet and seeing that post from you and picking up my name
Great tune .I really enjoyed it
I am not listening to this at the moment I am watching TV but my first Reggae album I brought maybe 1978 from Virgin Records in Brighton .
It was a great shop a pair of big KEF or Celestion speakers .Quad amps and listening booths to play records .loads of vinyl in the racks …I was 13 .

Here it is and my first single from that shop for good measure

Really enjoyed our chat today and seeing your 2 albums of totally different styles together…whats that word eclectic
Wishing you a chilled evening

5 Likes

15 Likes

Hakon Kornstad, Out of the Loop, interesting jazz from this Norwegian saxophonist. Qobuz 96/24

Lily Allen - Its Not Me, Its You - CD

1 Like

This one has the added bonus of banjo!

1 Like

Martyn Joseph - 1960. Released towards the end of 2021, this is the first album I’ve bought by Martyn and it’s very enjoyable. A singer-songwriter in a folk / Celtic style, his name was familiar but until now I’d heard nothing by him. Just checked and he has a back catalogue of around 30 albums, so there’s plenty to go at there!

5 Likes

A very Magical Mystery Tour.

German 70s pressing.

18 Likes

Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin.

21 Likes

Foot-tapping, addictive sounds.

12 Likes

Tony McPhee - The Blues & The Beast

8 Likes

Insouciant Bob outtake. It’s great.

12 Likes

11 Likes

Just finished…

Bonney Light Horseman - Bonney Light Horseman

Anaïs Mitchell ( (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Aaron Dessner (Hi String Guitar), Andrew Barr (Drum), Barbara Jean Meyers (Viola), Bella Blasko (Vocals), Christian Lee Hutson (Acoustic Guitar), Emily Staveley-Taylor (Vocals), Eric D. Johnson (Banjo, 12 String Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Harmonica, Piano, Vocals), Jeremy Ylvlsaker (12 String Guitar), Josh Kaufman (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Organ, Piano, Vocals), JT Bates (Drums, Percussion, Vocals), Justin Vernon (Vocals), Kate Stables (Banjo), Lisa Hannigan (Vocals), Logan Coale (Upright Bass) and Michael Lewis (Bass, Tenor Saxophone, Vocals).

Streamed on Qobuz (44.1/16)… returning from a long walk sat down with a sandwich a glass of water and the beautiful voice of Anaïs Mitchell with a fabulous group of musicians and they sounded sublime! One fine album…

17 Likes

I would have given two likes if I could. If ever there was a back catalogue crying out for reissue…

2 Likes

Linda Lewis, say no more. :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Joe McPhee - a great jazzy funky jam from 1970.

3 Likes

Kristina Train - Dark Black from c.2012. Shades of Eva Cassidy here, in that KT’s voice can do the slow stuff and then bounce along nicely with her self-written songs (with collaborations) . Well worth a listen IMV if female vocal is your thing. Compared to Dusty S. and Karen Carpenter, but don’t let the latter put you off, as her voice/this recording is far more than lighter-weight muzak.

5 Likes

Great album love the title track however she hasn’t been able to follow up with something as good.

1 Like