What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Woken up feeling a touch worse for wear following yesterday’s Covid Jab.
Mrs QS off to the office today, so her alarm signalled an early start.
Thought I’d ease us into the day with some Alex Lifeson and Envy of None.

1 Like

Engineers: John Lickie aka John Leckie

They did like their little jokes.

Great post - well done.

1 Like

Flaco Jimenez. Partners.
If you’ve not heard of him you will certainly know the people he has played with. Excellent. Cd rip.

4 Likes

Melody Gardot - Sunset in the Blue
All chores done and chilling as feeling a bit under the weather still, following yesterday’s Covid jab🫤

10 Likes

Some jazz goodness from Detroit…

Griot Galaxy Kins
TMR reissue 2019

5 Likes

Hi @Richard.Dane the word you edited from the MC5 post is actually a line spoken in the records intro

More Yoko. This is her Harvest - she’s heading for the middle of the road, to appropriate Neil Young’s comment on his own output.

9 Likes

Bob Marley. Exodus.
He is to reggae what Acker Bilk is to jazz.

18 Likes

If it’s the infamous word I’m thinking about, it’s also in John Sinclair’s text as in the photo. Those naughty boys!

1 Like

Playing on CD with the late Johnny Morris narrating

11 Likes

Two great selections there. The Frontline label released some really crucial stuff, you may know the story of how Johnny Rotten (Lydon) and others went out to Kingston and holed up at the Sheraton Hotel with a suitcase of cash to tempt Jamaican artists to sign up for the label.

X Ray Spex, yeah respect due Poly Styrene!

I remember that Virgin store well at The Clocktower junction of Queens Rd, North Rd. It later closed and moved to a much smaller shop further up Queens Road. By this time I had started making regular train and tube trips to Dub Vendor in Ladbroke Grove or Clapham a whole different and inspiring record shop experience and education.

Back to the Frontline label, those compilation samplers are excellent introductions to the full albums most of which are pretty essential imo, heres Vol II

:heart:

7 Likes

Indeed, so I dont get the need for moderator intervention

Did you you type it in your post - can’t remember.

That’s the difference I’d guess.

1 Like

Speaking of jazz from Detroit…

From over the water, the masters:

Art Ensemble Of Chicago
Live At Mandel Hall
Delmark Records 1974

6 Likes

Yeah I just quoted from the record :man_shrugging: maybe some overly sensitive soul was offended. Oh well I guess some 50+ years on that line still has the desired impact :wink:

Family forum…well, ish. Grandchildren may read it.

I’m surprised the guard software let you write it, tbh. Should be an obvious catch for it

Still…no biggie eh :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

Yes, it was flagged up and I agreed that it wasn’t appropriate language on here.

From what I can see of the cover, that looks like the Peter Green FM - is it a bootleg? And when was it recorded? I think there have been many versions of the Boston recordings so maybe it is one of those?

Thanks Dread

You knowing of that Virgin Shop that I mentioned brought a smile.It was the smaller one I mentioned.
I was to young to remember The Clock Tower branch.But there was so much great music to discover as a young teenager for me.I had school mates and their older brothers had Zeppelin @ Stranglers and Sex Pistols albums and Floyd.Rock against Racism events in London…wearing Anti Nazi league badges on our school blazers …sorry I am getting rose tinted specs thinking back …but you were there @ know what I am saying.I remember Aswad were always playing Brighton and the University of Sussex pretty regular…and Radiohead and REM also were always playing there around 1984 -85.

I do feel lucky living in Brighton in that period .

Yeah did know that story about John Lydon out in Jamaica signing artists for Virgin…I know he got Big Youth…

Wishing you a nice day Dread …enjoy the sun

1 Like

Otis

Nuff said.

Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul
Atlantic 1966, mono

15 Likes