What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

One of my favorites by Bill Evans and one of Brad Mehldau’s best

10 Likes

Just playing it on CD - along with ‘In Memory Of’ from this Mosaic CD set. ‘Mr Natural’ is not bad - but a bit run of the mill for these artists IMO.

8 Likes

Check out the Tone Poet re issue series its superb, subjectively a little pricey for some, but you get superb mastering, cut direct from tape, tip on gatefold sleeves in most cases with lovely session photos.
Give your RP3 a treat :japanese_ogre::wink:

1 Like

Yeah Stanley Turrentine does seem to be a bit of a Marmite player amongst Jazz/Blue Note fans

1 Like

Already ordered!

1 Like

Enjoy, I’m sure you will :+1:

1 Like

Revisiting Smiley Culture…

Prompted by this excellent book I’m currently reading which devotes 21 pages to him.

I always knew him to be so much more than a one hit wonder and this book, an academic study highlights just how significant a fugure he was socio politically, culturally, as an educator, innovator, poet and ambassador for the Commonwealth, the Queen was apparantly a fan and asked Smiley to do a rap to celebrate it which he duly obliged.

I hope this post isnt too indulgent, posting a few pages for anyone interested if the pics are legible

:heart:

5 Likes

De gustibus and all that jazz, but I’ll be sure to check out your recs. :grin:

Bill Evans Everybody Digs / 2007 Riverside / Germany CD / 0888072301825

Bill Evans Piano
Sam Jones Bass
Philly Joe Jones Drums

14 Likes

Ronnie Lane and The Band Slim Chance - Anymore For Anymore

11 Likes

Been meaning to try this for quite sometime. I nearly bought a preloved copy on Monday, but I was concerned about a blemish so passed on it.

13 Likes

I haven’t listened to this in a while, I forgot how much I like it!

18 Likes

Good choice, the soundtrack to some incredible parties.

I had another listen to the session - side 1 is not bad at all but I think side 2 lets it down a bit. No fan of the Lennon/McCartney track. Blue Note QC (Alfred Lion) were correct when they held this one back - although it is good that it got an issue.

Back around 2000 I was driving on business past Nairn, Scotland, in the middle of nowhere really. Next to the road-side was a small hand made sign saying ‘Tonight at the Town Hall -Stanley Turrentine’. My teeth nearly fell out. Sadly we couldn’t stop but it was for real.

2 Likes

Thank you - much appreciated.

Playing on CD

10 Likes

For Robin Trower fans he is putting out albums more frequently. This is another lovely album with vocals by Sari Schorr……very nice too.

9 Likes

I wonder if it was the Stanley Turrentine, another Stanley, or a joke?

Dont know a great deal about RT, I used to enjoy For Earth Below back in the day…

:heart:

10 Likes

Before had another listen to this one. Still findin pg symphony Nr. 2 a bit weird, but enjoyed it in total…

2 Likes