What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Playing on Vinyl

10 Likes

23 Likes

Great choice! :+1:

Continuing with this - not a big Cream fan but really love this

Cream - Live at Royal Albert Hall

Must admit having slight problems controlling the system tonight - iPad isn’t “finding” all my albums on the Core after a software update so I’ve ‘borrowed partner’s Samsung tablet and put the app on it and that’s working fine!

14 Likes

Playing on Vinyl

3 Likes

The previously posted Dubkasm is a remix collaboration of two pieces, New Era and Reasons from this;

Ishmael Ensemble & Rider Shafique - New Era (Qobuz/Bandcamp)

Nice review on Qobuz

For many Britons, the winter of 2022 may be remembered as one of the most challenging and testing in living memory: ever-tumultuous politics, the harshest cold snap in a decade and a cost of living crisis rivalling that of the 1950s. But through glacial winds and economic strife, the inviolate tenor of New Era shines forth a hopeful, cathartic beacon, as Ishmael Ensemble joins forces with Gloucester-born MC, Rider Shafique. Threading the needle between the group’s characteristically transcendent sound and the vocalist’s poignantly articulated brand of spoken-word, the product cleaves a path through tenebrous soundscapes and jazz-inflected dub and trip-hop. Bandleader Cunningham’s pitch-perfect production and anthemic melodicism traverse all corners of the project, but it is surely the lyrical material which shines brightest. With Holysseus Fly’s vocals taking a backseat for this release, the spotlight is well and truly on Shafique, who urges listeners to engage deeply with themes of existential uncertainty (‘Reasons’) and spiritual disorientation (‘Polestar’). The title track, ‘New Era’ is particularly persuasive, where prophetic notions of revolution simmer above tremulous bass and drone-centric instrumentation. Overall, an intensely moving piece of work – one which will surely resonate with all those searching for some semblance of clarity through such seemingly precarious times. More of the same, please. © Finn Kverndal/Qobuz

:heart:

2 Likes

Nothing serious, I trust, Simon?

Now playing…

Wayne Horvitz: Joe Hill: 16 Actions For Orchestra, Voices, and Soloist

Wayne Horvitz (Composer)Jennifer Godfrey (Bass), Jonathan Burnstein (Bass), Maurice Clubb (Bass), Chuck Jacott (Cello), Craig Weaver (Cello), Kevin Krentz (Cello), Virginia Dziekonski (Cello), Walter Gray (Cello), Jeffrey Brooks (Clarinet), Laura DeLuca (Clarinet), Mikhail Shmidt (Concertmaster, Violin), Christian Knapp (Conductor), Robin Peery (Flute), Bill Frisell (Guitar), Northwest SinfoniaOrchestra: Matthew Kocmieroski (Percussion), Meade Crane (Piano), David Ritt (Trombone), Justin Emerich (Trumpet), Chris Olka (Tuba), Larissa Brown (Viola), Laura Renz (Viola), Nigel Muffin (Viola), Roxanna Patterson (Viola), Scott Ligocki (Viola), Shari Link (Viola), Suejane Bryant (Viola), Artur Girsky (Violin), Clark Story (Violin), Daisuke Yamamoto (Violin), Jean Wells-Yablonsky (Violin), Kwan Bin Park (Violin), Leonid Keylin (Violin), Natasha Bazhanova (Violin), Simon James (Violin), [Steve Bryant (Violin), Tim Garland (Violin), Tom Dziekonski (Violin), Danny Barnes (Vocals), [Rinde Eckert (Vocals), Robin Holcomb (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with this fine composition from Wayne and the talented musicians are sounding mighty fine! This is a piece dedicated to Joe Hill, a Swedish emigrant, was framed on a murder charge because of his activism with International Workers of the World (IWW) and executed in Salt Lake City in 1914. It has been a while since I have given this a spin…

2 Likes

Chilling out before the hurly burly of getting Mrs R’s post gym dinner on the go.

8 Likes

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go.

16 Likes

X-Rays on knees - doctor thinks I’ve got no cartilage left - so it’s prob injections or surgery - been struggling with walking for quite some time! Thanks for asking.

Ah, damn. I took up running after my first retirement, which did mine no good at all. Hope all goes well, Simon.

1 Like

The puck worked beautifully, it just pulled everything with it and surprisingly couldn’t be repaired.

1 Like

What does that triangle widget do?

Firs time I heard of Joe Hill was the Woodstock Joan Baez set. ( not there but via the film at the time).

Me too, but usually down to something I’ve ingested :grin:
Hope you get fixed up and fully mobile soon, all the best
:heart:

Sorry, I dont get what you mean

Creates a better interface between record and mat, which reduces the noise floor and tightens everything up. The improvement is audible so I bought it.

1 Like

Doesnt mess with the suspension?

The bit the CD sits on is two bits of plastic joined together. The top half came away over time. I blame the magnetic power of the puck. I think that’s why some folk don’t attach the puck without a CD. That the plastic thing couldn’t be repaired is my only disappointment with Naim in 40 years.

1 Like