What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Yes - Relayer.

A prog rock/jazz fusion masterpiece! And then theres more wonderful artwork from Roger Dean himself.

24 Likes

Suicide. 1977.

Possibly the best track ever !

9 Likes

First up on turntable when my system settles down is this Tone Poet purchased yesterday.

13 Likes

Mozart. Vinyl 1962. Royal Philharmonic.

10 Likes

Thanks Clive, it’s good to hear a positive take on this new mix. I agree the differences you describe are the most evident ones, and for me, it’s a worthwhile re-mix, which almost makes it a remake. The whole thing has been sonically re-configured.

The first time I heard it, I too was shocked. Each subsequent time I’ve enjoyed it.

It’s all subjective, of course, which is part of the fun.

I also agree it would be great to have the MMT album treated to a remix/sonic makeover in the style of the Walrus reboot.

4 Likes

Herbie Hancock Inventions & Dimensions
2019 Blue Note / Japan UHQCD / Limited edition / UCCQ9444

16 Likes

Radiohead - Kid A - CD

26 Likes

ZZ Top | Recycler | 1990
I do love me some 'Tops and this was back in their MTV days when the punters wanted interesting video to accompany the sounds.

16 Likes

Only got to see them once, great band. Normally play their greatest hits and hadn’t heard that album for probably 25 years. :grin:

1 Like

Of course, apart from Flying and Blue Jay Way, all the other tracks from the original MMT EP have already received the Giles Martin treatment on the Blue album. You could add Baby You’re a Rich Man to the list of tracks to be done if you’re considering the 12” release. Some of the other MMT remixed tracks do themselves reveal new subtleties. I heard a bass line earlier on one of the tracks (can’t recall which) which had previously been hidden deeper in the mix.

I need to do a similar comparison with tracks on the Red album, because some of the breaths in Girl seemed slightly recessed on first play. That said, I Saw Her Standing There really cooks now.

6 Likes

First listen to the new 4-CD reissue of New Order’s mighty Substance. I’m starting off with the September '87 Irvine Meadows concert, which has long been a favourite with collectors, as the group played the 12-track “vinyl” version of Substance from beginning to end (eg “Ceremony” to “true Faith”). It’s definitely an upgrade on the bootlegs that have been citculating for the past 35 years.

19 Likes

ZMF Atrium Closed ran in… what to use that sub bass on….

ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man - Eliminator

27 Likes

LTJ Bukem - Producer Vol 5 - Rarities

Dripping with tight amen breaks and rolling basslines + a cool James Bond theme remix :man_dancing:

6 Likes

Having a cheeky session as the other half wants to watch her cooking programmes on TV.
Starting with this

Placebo - Never Let Me Go

6 Likes

Playing my 'Tops on closed back circumaural Denon AHD7000s. A total joy as ever.

2 Likes

Agreed followed closely by Joshua’s Tree.

2 Likes

Stills-Young Band

14 Likes

I had this CD back in the late eighties and you could hear Previn humming along as the orchestra played. Needless to say it spoilt the enjoyment as you tended to focus your listening on his humming and not the orchestra.

8 Likes

Coincidentally I picked up a very nice 2nd hand copy of Robert Plants Now And Zen on vinyl this week for the princely sum of $13CDN (less than £8).
Sounds are a little 80s but I had forgotten how good an album it was. Well pleased with the purchase.

5 Likes

Familiar - Agnes Obel

11 Likes