What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

I think it’s actually easier these days to make living from a niche base than back in the day - you no longer need a major label deal to thrive in the age of social media. “Taping is killing live music” my arse. Set the music free! Ah, might be a bit tipsy!

3 Likes

A mention above of New Gold Dream got me thinking about this as I associate a particular time in the early 80’s with both albums. Lloyd Cole, Rattlesnakes.

13 Likes

Absolutely!

Yes, I recorded stuff off the radio or ‘system’ on tape. Anything from the radio generally made me buy vinyl, and any vinyl I recorded I owned and just wanted a ‘new’ copy for posterity or the car.

Trouble is I think I was in the minority.

1 Like

Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding. SACD.

13 Likes

In the mid to late 80s I use to pay between $35 and $45 for a cd. They did get much cheaper but they’re all getting pricey now.

1 Like

Dolly, one of the great lady singer song writers……some numbers like this work, others not so much. But, bless her for trying, just my opinion.

7 Likes

I tried to listen to that earlier when cooking breakfast but the Bluetooth connection was up the creek - any good?

Love a bit of Dolly, loads of tracks is it old or mostly new?

I love that dress. :blush:

I’ve never really listened to any of her stuff apart from what I’ve heard on the radio. Maybe I should. :+1:

2 Likes

New recordings with the one i played was a duet with Pete Frampton….it worked well. Some others i thought were not really working for me, star studded cast. I need another listen.
At least with streaming you can listen, buy or do nothing?

1 Like

thank you Def Leppard for giving me the motivation to do my homework when I was a teenager, and listening to this on Naim still gives me goosebumps in some difficult personal times, still gives me the motivation to keep going…

8 Likes

Tried this earlier, but not sure really, maybe it needs a few listens:

6 Likes

Staying with Mr Jackson

The Duke.

13 Likes

A great recording, i love female vocals……this is a gem of some of the finest. And as usual managed to miss them a few years ago at Snape Maltings……a small venue in Suffolk.

12 Likes

Starting off a long day with a local favourite Robert Forster The Evangelist

2 Likes

What a lineup!

Would it fit?

3 Likes

Been listening to discs 2 and 3 of this, which comprises mostly B-sides.

What’s incredible is that in this period (1981-87) NO’s B-sides were as good as the As: “In A Lonely Place”, “Hurt”, “Procession”, “Lonesome Tonight”, “The Beach”, “1963”, “Murder” etc. In fact, they were the best band of the 1980s, what with all those fabulous synths and Hooky’s bass. Even Bernard’s voice in those days was OK - he was never a good singer but in those days he used to make a virtue of his fragile voice.

15 Likes

Darklands - 1987
CD rip

Great stuff from the Reid brothers.
The_Jesus_and_Mary_Chain_-_Darklands

8 Likes

Van Morrison - Into The Music.

18 Likes