What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Kursaal Flyers in The Great Artiste

9 Likes

Sadly not on the NAT01 this morning. But I was listening to Sarah in the car. Does that count?

1 Like

Absolutely Clive …I bet on the 01 though your system it sounds beautiful .
I have a little Sony Radio in the kitchen just mono and often listen to Radio 3 on that and its very enjoyable obviously you are losing a lot of the hifi things but you get the gist of whats being played.Your car stereo probably sounds great being in an enclosed environment with lots of speakers.
Wishing you a fine evening

1 Like

Now playing…

Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane

Alison Krauss (Fiddle, Vocals), Barry Bales (Acoustic Bass, Upright Bass, Vocals), Dan Tyminski (Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals), Jerry Douglas (Dobro, Vocals) and Ron Block (Banjo, Guitar, Acoustic Guitar).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… kicking off this Sunday morning with Alison and she and the band is sounding sublime! One very fine album to ease into the day with…

21 Likes

Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts

6 Likes

Had a listen to these two this afternoon - great !

Soft Machine -

Softs -
Karl Jenkins (p) (synth)
John Etheridge (g)
Alan Wakeman (s)
Mike Ratledge (key)
Roy Babbington (b)
John Marshall (per) (d)

& Hidden Details -
Theo Travis (s) (fl) (p)
John Etheridge (g)
Roy Babbington (g)
Nick Utteridge (ch)
John Marshall (per) (d)

13 Likes

Rick’s cousin.

2 Likes

A brilliant score by the Argentinian composer-pianist. Bruce Lee reportedly practiced a lot of his moves to Schifrin’s Mission: Impossible score, which is how Lalo - who later took up martial arts himself, earning a black belt – got the gig. He’s 91 years old and still working apparently. Long may he continue.

15 Likes

Enjoyable for £1.25 on Vinyl, whilst watching the footy.

7 Likes

WeWantSounds’ excellent expanded version of this overlooked Schifrin banger…

12 Likes

:heart:

4 Likes

Rush - Fly By Night (1975).

Neil Peart (RIP) joins Lee and Lifeson, and the line-up is fixed forever. What a trio they were. Still loving the music they made.

21 Likes

Hey, that’s a good idea @Graeme !

18 Likes

The original Broadway cast recording - by far the best version of this musical. Given the musical and textual conservatism of American musicals at the time, it’s an incredibly radical piece of work with its subject matter, Sondheim’s brilliant lyrics and Bernstein’s angular, jazz-and-Latin infused score.

16 Likes

Album #2 in going through my live album collection in alphabetical order, and we peak very early! AC/DC: If you want Blood, is for me the essence of what a live album is all about. It sounds live, you feel like you’re at the gig. There are bumps, duff notes and not too much reworking… Also, the album captures the essence of the Bon Scott era of AC/DC… there’s a rawness and sense of fun, that to me wasn’t there as they became the stadium behemoth that they still are. I saw them on the Highway to Hell tour in 79 at the Brighton Centre, just months before Bon unfortunately passed away. To me this is one of the finest live albums going…. Certainly on my top 5.

25 Likes

Overlooked for while but what a great album.
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

17 Likes

Golden Aster - Marcescence
CD|2023

Folk duo Laura Wortman and Letitia VanSant. Side project for both. Enjoyable album.

5 Likes

A very cool jazz session: guitar, organ, vibraphone and drums. Delightfully different.

14 Likes

Some Freddie from 1962 up next … nice!

18 Likes

Dexter Gordon- One Flight Up (Qobuz HR/Blue Note)

Recorded in Paris in 1964 with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Niels Henning Orsted & Art Taylor.

Fine session especially the long piece Tanya, but somehow overall (I bet I’m in a minority of one) I find it just a tad over rated.
Shall I get my coat?

:heart:

19 Likes