What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Sticking with some local content Richard Clapton Girls on the Avenue, it just says summer.

2 Likes

Dylan New Morning featuring The Man in Me which always reminds me of The Big Lebowski.

14 Likes

Downloaded yesterday, 1st run

3 Likes

On CD:-

Glenn Hughes - Play Me Out

7 Likes

Jacqueline du Pre - Elgar Cello Concerto and others

Doesn’t she just make your heart throb on the Elgar.

Happy New Year.

Phil

12 Likes

I never even try to listen to ‘Revolution No 9’ these days -utter rubbish (in my opinion). One problem with its inclusion is that it lends fuel to the argument that ‘The White Album’ is bloated, and that there’s a decent single LP in there, trying to get out.

Personally, I think that there are three decent sides’ worth of material - and we’ve seen The Boss release a three-sided double LP recently.

First record of the year!

7 Likes

The duPrė/Barbirolli Elgar Concerto is a classic of the gramophone, and revived a piece of music that had (in 1967, when I think the record was made) fallen out of public favour. She went on to record the Elgar again in a ‘live’ performance with hubby Daniel Barenboim (in Chicago, I think) for CBS Records, which is good to have on hand as an occasional change from the EMI one.

And I think that there was another ‘live’ recording which was made with a European orchestra - but I can’t remember details. (Is it possible that the old silver fox Celibidache was in charge?)

1 Like

It seemed fitting today to revisit a favourite recording of mine for 36 years, the brilliant Herbert Von Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic ‘New Year’s Concert in Vienna’ 1987. I bought the vinyl that year (one of my first classical purchases and sadly no longer own it) so looked it up on Qobuz… only 44hz 16 bit available.

I’ve just discovered though that the NYD Concert this year is live right now on the BBC (and available via iPlayer), sounding very good via my Naim NDX 2/Supernait 3/AE509s!

Happy New Year to everyone!

10 Likes

Currently listening to the New Year’s Day concert from Vienna on BBC Radio 3. Unfortunately I can’t watch it at the same time as the TV and the stereo are in different rooms. Besides, I’ve found in the past that TV and FM radio aren’t in sync.

2 Likes

Happy listening @Clive . I see there is a new thread on the NYD concert.

A Naim Forum recommendation. Never heard of John Moulder until last week!

3 Likes

Happy New Year to everyone
My first 2023 listen after a late night (early morning) - and very nice too !

10 Likes

Jean Michel Jarre - ‘Oxygene’ (1976). For me this is the ‘original and best’ of the JMJ albums, although I am not that familiar with all of them! I remember they had parts 2 and 3 playing when I entered a lecture hall at Liverpool University. I had visited as a sixth former and prospective student for an introductory talk in the Electrical Engineering Dept. That was in December 1978!

21 Likes

Bjork - Post, CD rip, while cooking in readiness for a New Years Day get together. One of my fav Bjork albums as it’s such an eclectic mix of influences. A fab second album.

17 Likes

On CD:-

61H2meBtL8L._AC_1

Budgie - In For The Kill

12 Likes

Yes, this and Equinox.

1 Like

Another pressie from Santa. On CD:

2 Likes

Thank you! I was aware of his work with Steely Dan etc., first listen as an artist in his own right and as James Taylor (surprisinglyto me) vocalises on track 2 I thought Roon Radio must have kicked in. Very nice :+1:

1 Like

Originally coupled with Janet Baker’s wonderful singing of Elgar’s Sea Pictures. Not top drawer Elgar perhaps but elevated to greatness by Baker’s performance, from her early prime when her voice was so fresh.

The problem with collections, like the du Pré box, is that you sometimes miss out on such gems.

Roger

1 Like